myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Water trapped in front half of MS boom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tcevans

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Water trapped in front half of MS boom Reply with quote

Anyone else encounter this?

Any successful methods for getting the water out, and keeping it out?
diannesf

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It happened to my boom...we got the water out by centrifugal force. We used my uphaul but you can tie something to the front end (take the back end off first) and swing it around as hard as you can. The water should fling out. I don't think it will keep it out, but it did get it out. Good luck!
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would contact MS and find out exactly where they installed any plugs, and what materials are involved. Once you know what's going on, then you can attempt to open them up. If you don't know where the water is intruding, it might be best to keep the boom arms open so that they can drain, and that would allow you to rinse if needed. The upside is that carbon doesn't corrode, so no worries about what's going on inside, unless of course, if there's some kind of structural fracture.
a-might-bit-goosty

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem with my MS boom. I can get some water out with gravity, but not all.
Nothing like paying top dollar for carbon, and then having it feel heavy, unbalanced, and water-logged.
I like the thin diameter of the MS boom, but might have to try a new make.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've pulled boom plugs by taping a corkscrew to a dowel. Works well with non-glued plugs (if they're glued I ramrod them loose first). If the plugs are too loose to get a corkscrew into them and my boom has a continuous front end, I use air pressure to blow them around the bend and out the other side of the boom.

Then I install better plugs. I take a section of metal tubing bigger than the boom, sharpen one end, use it as a cookie cutter to cut a two-inch-long plug from a thick piece of polyethylene foam, and ram it in there on each side.

One caveat: an inconsequential ounce of water sounds like a pint. Make sure you're not chasing third decimal points.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: