myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
TI access to be Shut down?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob1

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is TI open for sure Sat & Sun?

Thinking of running up there this afternoon (Sunday)?
johnarmitage

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, TI is alive and well. Parking is scarcer than ever, and there is a 5- minute walk to the ramp through a fence maze with a 3-foot wide choke point. It's therefore necessary to rig on the jetty road or shoulder.

No worse really than arriving late at 3rd. Which kind of sucks, but it's doable.
YippieYo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radross wrote:
For now, the Navy/project manager has agreed to our having access to the ramp on weekends. This should start at 4:00 p.m. on Fridays.

Access to the perimeter path to the ramp will most likely be from the end of the perimeter path at Avenue I. How far up the path we will be able to drive to drop gear and/or then parallel park along the path, if at all, is unclear. But the Navy and TIDA (Treasure Island Development Authority) are expecting us to rig near the riprap then carry along a narrow strip of dirt between the recently installed fence and the riprap to the ramp.

TIDA supports our presence and offered resources to move a smaller fence to enlarge the "rigging area". TIDA is also trying to convince the Navy contractor to use moveable barriers between the ramp and rigging area that the contractor can move to enlarge the narrow dirt strip.

We also had discussed with the Navy/project manager his committing to have the gate opened M-Th., at 4:00 p.m., or when the contractor ceases for the day. The Navy/project manager's concern was convincing the Navy to incur the added expense of supposedly having to daily "wand" for radiation, once they start moving dirt, before they can open the path. TIDA strongly supports a daily opening.

Obviously, need to continue to work on getting this commitment. Four of us showed today at 4:00 p.m. It was blowing 28 and a construction worker was locking the gate at the end of the path. He told us they were operating under the instruction that it was "open only weekends." Some of us left and some of us rigged and went in over the rocks at 13th Ave., and floated/swam to the wind line. Total PIA.

Ross

I don't mean to make work for anyone, but for the somewhat infrequent TI sailor like myself, can someone make a rough map for parking, rigging, and launch options as it stands today?

thanks in advance!
greytwhyte

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YippieYo, As of today we don't know. The access was open this past weekend as John pointed out but we are not sure if the access will be open during the week. If it is it will be sometime after 4pm. A few guys tried sailing on Thursday or Friday and the access was closed. If open, parking is still on Northpoint and the access to the ramp is through an opening in the fence behind the apartments but one building further South from last season. I may head out there tomorrow after work and will post an update. If anyone else heads out there tonight, please post an update. Thanks.
YippieYo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toddwhyte wrote:
YippieYo, As of today we don't know. The access was open this past weekend as John pointed out but we are not sure if the access will be open during the week. If it is it will be sometime after 4pm. A few guys tried sailing on Thursday or Friday and the access was closed. If open, parking is still on Northpoint and the access to the ramp is through an opening in the fence behind the apartments but one building further South from last season. I may head out there tomorrow after work and will post an update. If anyone else heads out there tonight, please post an update. Thanks.

Hi Todd,

Fair enough. I've only done the ramp and the pipe launch, and don't know anything about the 13th st launch. I guess that I will just have to scope it out next time I'm out there. definitely keep us in the loop!
greytwhyte

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TI weekday access appears to be closed. While I didn't get out there last night, several regulars did and there wasn't any access to the ramp. One of the workers told them the access would be open at 5pm on Friday. The guys who still wanted to sail launched from 13th Street. Launching from 13th can be done be throwing your gear into the water off the cement landing if the water is high enough or climbing down the rocks and then attaching your board and sail. The tides behind the island at 13th work a little differently. I'm speaking in general terms. In an Ebb the tide is moving North so it makes the swim out pretty easy. In a flood the tide is moving South so a hard swim/rock walk out. Once you get up into the cove you should be getting some wind and can drift out/East a little and get a waterstart. Coming back you want to come past the rock jetty with as much speed as possible almost on a broad reach and then coast it as far as you can as you lose the wind then finally swim it to the rocks.
bob1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First the giant (and exceptionally well-proportioned) Naked Dancer sculpture is removed from TI, now this . . . .
bgreene

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mid-week access is back to 13th St. on the east side of the island like it was 10 years or so ago. Not really a terrible arrangement, better than nothing, but definitely really only appropriate for ebb tide conditions. 2 days this week for me with minimal hassle. Hope to see you out there, yesterday was lonely.
ronadler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did they open the gate at 4PM on Friday (June 5) as promised? Anyone go there today? thanks
SwellRipper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:17 am    Post subject: TI access Reply with quote

TI is more of a chore than before. Less parking, more walking, and more restricted rat maze of fencing. Of course radiation danger signs are one thing but actual digging for the stuff now? Got to wonder...Great sailing on the water and important place for windsurfing now and into the future but the actual launch ambience makes Candlestick and whatever that place is in the East Bay is called, dog crap park or something, seem like paradise in comparison! On the flip side, TI would be a great place to film a post-apocalyptic windsurf movie! Escape from TI! Coming to IMAX theaters soon, haha.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: