myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
windsurfing Pensacola

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bpbates

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: windsurfing Pensacola Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdaigLx7S7k&feature=youtu.be

Good wind this weekend
Milsurf

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like fun! I scored all last weekend up here in GA as well!
Carvedup

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Windsurfers in or around Pensacola Reply with quote

bpbates,

I've been windsurfing around Pensacola since 1981. Both my adult children sail and I have two good friends that sail with us. Beyond that we hardly see any boardsailors out any more. Just plenty of SUPs. Usual spots for us are Fort Pickens gate and the gulf across from Fort Pickens gate. Johnson Beach is first choice with a hard east or southeast wind.

Let me know if you want to meet up sometime. I miss the good times we had back when the sound was full of windsurfer. Pensacola used to be a windsurfing destination. When Surf & Sail was forced to close things just went down from there.

Sometimes I hit the gulf on a weekday after work for an late afternoon sail. Not always the best wind, but what a nice place to be.
outcast

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed there a bunch in the 87-91 time frame
Tom Pace was there at the time.
I Forgot the name of the shop on the bay....maybe it was Surf and Sail...Good times....was Mark the owner?
I had a mug hanging at McGuires (might still be there!)

Now I live in the tundra....it was lighter wind but fun sailing....must be really good on todays light wind gear

apierce

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bpbates:
I enjoy your posts and videos. I stayed in Pensacola two years ago for first and only time. There was 20+ SE winds and waves the whole week and me with no gear. I could have launched into the Gulf from our condo. I only saw one sailor (maybe you) and was glad to see someone scoring these conditions. Warm, windy, snow white sand and emerald green water. It looked like the bay or sound sides have potential too. I am definitely coming back with gear.

Andrew
Carvedup

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it was Surf & Sail. Mike & Susan Mead where the second owners. Pam Jordan was the original owner. Mike and Susan expanded the shop after they bought it. It was such an awesome place in the 80s. Lots of triangle races and freestyle competitions. Weekdays during the summer where filled with BBQs and fun races in the after work hours. It would probably be there today if not for the land owner not renewing the lease so the property could be converted to an RV Park.

Tom Pace is still around. Great guy to hang with. He usually comes out for the big blows. Kiting is bigger now. I tried it for a few years. It was fun, but I decide that it's more of a young persons sport if you're not out doing it on a regular basis. I do think that windsurfing will rebound. When it does I'll still be here.

October is my favorite time of the year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: