myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New Streamlined Mast Base - Some Pros and Cons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thurston

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: New Streamlined Mast Base - Some Pros and Cons Reply with quote

I've used my new mast base for 3 sessions now and have some initial observations. This is my first new mast base, I'm an intermediate windsurfer and until this point was using used Chinook mast bases, single bolt US cup. Here is the new one:

What I liked about it: There were two reasons I bought this model. I had a hard time twisting the Chinook single bolt tight enough so that it would never slip in my mast track. As an intermediate windsurfer, I spend a lot of time uphauling, and in heavier wind conditions with choppy waves, the base would sometimes loosen up slightly. I'd uphaul, and the base can pull up the track, upsetting my rig settings. In cold late fall/winter conditions this could end my session since trying to re-tighten with frozen fingers is futile. The streamlined base is two bolt, which seems safer and should keep things tighter.
Secondly, the streamlined base allows for quick disconnect below the U-joint, leaving only the base plate attached. You can see the button in the photo; You push the button down, slide the metal strip over/across it, and the U-joint releases. I like this because it means I never have to mess with the base plate once attached to my board and it allows me to mount the board on to of my car with the plate installed, but without the ujoint and US Cup hitting the top of my car (which the Chinook did).

What I maybe don't like about it: So far I've been a little disappointed. On my second session, the base slipped in the mast track. I reset and tightened the screws as hard as I could (slightly stripped one of the heads) and it didn't move during a 2-1/2 hour session yesterday, which is good. So I'll chalk this up to user error; I probably didn't tighten things down well enough to start with.
The mechanism for detaching below the U-Joint is OK, not great. It would have been ideal if it made it easier to rig and de-rig, but I find it about equally difficult as pressing in the little spring-loaded metal "pins" that hold onto the mast extension. In fact, yesterday while I was derigging, I had a very difficult time detaching at the base plate (even after removing the mast and rest of rig). The piece that is supposed to slide froze up and I had to use a tool to force it open. I haven't had a chance to look at why the slide is suddenly so stiff, maybe a little bit of sand or something, but it wasn't exposed to much sand, certainly not anything excessive.

Anyway I think it's a good mast base, and most importantly it has a reputation for being built very well/strong. Hopefully it will get better as I use it more and become more familiar with it. Just wanted to put my initial impressions out there.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to this base (except Euro pin) for the same reason. I needed more movement fore aft , this base has the screws closer together, so I gains some movement.

Everything you found good and bad I agree with, the ONLY exception is mine has never come loose.

I have never been able to figure out why some single bolt bases come loose,
I have one old Chinook that has never worked loose.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
adywind

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sticking/jamming u-joints; booms; fins; mast tips; difficult to tighten footstrap-screws I use the McNett silicon spray. Just make sure it doesn't go where it shouldn't !

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.56 KB
 Viewed:  17394 Time(s)

image.jpg

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might just mention that the Chinook double bolt mast base works very
much like the Streamlined with a similar quick disconnect leaving the
mast base in the board. Personally I think the Chinook pin looks stronger,
but it's plate fastening bolts are farther appart than the Streamlined, so,
not as adjustable in a short mast box.

-Craig
kevinkan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pros and cons:

-The Chinook double pin plate is easier to use.
-The Chinook plate is more resistant to clogging with sand
-The Streamlined plate system is lower profile
-The Streamlined plate has the screws placed much closer together allowing you to get a lot more adjustment range out of your mast track. (ex. the mast track in the 2015 JP Freestyle is so short, a Chinook plate will not even fit)
-The Streamlined plate and uni is generally lighter than the Chinook
-More people have the Chinook system, so if you like to trade gear w/ friends etc... you'll have more compatibility with Chinook

Both systems work well and have their pros and cons.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for ease of use
for wide boards , big sails
and for people trying windsurfing with me
i use the 2 bolt mechanical base
no Streamlined in Canada and so -> Chinook
allows the board to be flat in the water while attaching or detaching
and the clip at the base is always an option
here is an example:

rollerrider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of mast track do you have? It's not an older metal track is it?
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Streamlined base works well for me at my current sailing site (silty but not sandy).

At a sandier site, the slide mechanism can sometimes be troublesome. I recommend always packing an appropriately sized Phillips screwdriver to disassemble the slide if it jams. When you disassemble on any surface other than pavement, take care because it is too easy to lose track of the small button and spring. Grit can prevent the button from being easily pressed down far enough to clear the hole in the slide, and it can also make it difficult to move the slide.

The button/spring/slide combination seems to be at least somewhat prone to corrosion, especially of the spring. I have used a very small amount of copper-containing anti-seize lubricant to try to work against this, but grease also tends to hold grit. I cannot say whether the harm outweighs the benefit.

I get a baseplate for each board and leave it in place. It presents no obstacle to bagging the board and putting it on roof racks.
Thurston

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollerrider wrote:
What kind of mast track do you have? It's not an older metal track is it?

No

dsgrntlxmply wrote:
The Streamlined base works well for me at my current sailing site (silty but not sandy).

At a sandier site, the slide mechanism can sometimes be troublesome. I recommend always packing an appropriately sized Phillips screwdriver to disassemble the slide if it jams. When you disassemble on any surface other than pavement, take care because it is too easy to lose track of the small button and spring. Grit can prevent the button from being easily pressed down far enough to clear the hole in the slide, and it can also make it difficult to move the slide.

The button/spring/slide combination seems to be at least somewhat prone to corrosion, especially of the spring. I have used a very small amount of copper-containing anti-seize lubricant to try to work against this, but grease also tends to hold grit. I cannot say whether the harm outweighs the benefit.

I took it apart this weekend and it's as easy as you say. Wiped down the components and it slides just fine now. Going to look into some silicon spray as suggested above.

I've used soap on the boom slides, which seems to work great. It works over a longer period of time than I thought it would. Maybe I'll try that first.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Going to look into some silicon spray..."

I would recommend against using silicon spray, especially on a crucial connection component. Best policy is to keep things clean and free of sand and dirt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: