myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
sunburned fingers - has this happened to anyone else?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oreocookeee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: sunburned fingers - has this happened to anyone else? Reply with quote

I had a pretty typical session at third avenue last friday, but afterwards i developed the worst sunburn of my life, but only on my fingers. I was sailing pretty late so I doubt it happened from direct sun exposure.

I can only guess is that somehow I was sailing at just the right angle with the sail rigged just right to act as a reflector to focus the sun on my fingers on the boom.

Its now four days later and I'm still recovering with blisters all over my fingers.

I'm wondering if this has ever happened to anyone else, or if it might a common thing too look out for?
rigatoni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't sailed down there in a while but I recall the water quality being pretty suspect from time to time. Maybe you are having a reaction to something in the water. Jet fuel?
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's a combination of sun and chemicals.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like chemistry to me also.

-Craig
windsrf

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photosensitization can occur from ingested or injected chemicals/drugs, etc. Might also be some sort of allergic reaction? I seriously doubt it would be due to sunlight being concentrated by your sail though. Would be much more common experience if so?
carl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been sailing Coyote/3rd/Stick for many years and never heard of any
chemical thing like that, and sun late in the day just not possible to burn that much.
Did you go hiking recently? The poison oak is really ripe now.
cbknap

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree that this sounds more like a chemical you touched. Brake fluid, paint stripper, even used oil can do this. Use rubber/plastic gloves for anything inorganic. If condition persists see your doctor. Seriously doubt you sunburned your fingers sailing.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, one time I was jogging through poison ivy and afterwards took a leak. I thought I'd sunburned my Pekar. Doctor had a big laugh.
Windreamer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wear gloves while sailing, but one time after sailing,I took off the gloves and obviously my sunscreen had washed off. I was also on an antibiotic that causes sun sensitivity. My hands looked like they were chemically burned after only about 45 min.
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suspect poison oak or other contact dermatitis, or contact with or ingestion of a photosensitizer. I once was prescribed a course of doxycycline for malaria prophylaxis, and was cautioned to wear clothing with full coverage and to stay out of the sun as much as possible.

There was a bizarre report in the medical literature some years ago of a case of severe sunburn in someone who had been scrubbing a teak deck with large quantities of lime peel/juice. Lime contains psoralens, which are photosensitizers.

That said, on Maui and Bonaire I have ended up with little patches of sunburn in the area between my rashguard sleeves and my gloves, and in the little open triangular area delineated by the glove strap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: