myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sandy at The Sign

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rigatoni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Sandy at The Sign Reply with quote

In addition to the windmills stealing the good wind at The Sign, I guess no one is putting any water on the area where all the day sailors park and it is rapidly becoming a big sand pit. Do any of the locals know the story?
jse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe hit has to do with the drought? But yeah, I noticed that. Oh how I long for the launches of the Gorge where they actually promote windsurfing instead of the crappy launches we have to deal with around here.

Steve
Arrgh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone coming to SI on Highway 4, you might want to check out the new (kite) launch in Pittsburg.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/breaking-news/ci_28389336/pittsburg-hopes-high-that-elite-kiteboarders-event-sunday
rigatoni

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a little recon for the Pittsburg launch. Props to the kiters for developing it but honestly it is not exactly the best spot. Steep ramp in to a wind shadow and lots of sketchy characters in the parking lot. I'll drive a little further and pay the toll to sail at SI.

I figure the drought is probably the excuse but the lawn next door at the RV park is emerald green. Maybe the folks camped out for the season don't want us sailing with them. Wink
dogbarczar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Part of the problem is losing the siphon from the river as there is most likely a leak in the system or a hole in the main pipe which pulls air during low tides. Also RVWA has a use permit for the land from Dept. of Water Resources so nice green lawns may not be politically correct during the current drought.
radross

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rig (or anyone else)-

Any more 411 on the Pittsburg site: hours park is un-gated (if there is a gate); parking; how far a carry from parking to rigging to said steep ramp; grass rig area; showers/bathroom/portapotties; slippery, broken glass, used needles, etc., on the ramp area or other bs we endure for sketch sites; wind meters to consider; tide charts to consider; big boat traffic; scenery; effect of differing wind directions; and most importantly, how is the swell?

Thanks
Ross
tajella

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radross wrote:
Hey Rig (or anyone else)-

Any more 411 on the Pittsburg site: hours park is un-gated (if there is a gate); parking; how far a carry from parking to rigging to said steep ramp; grass rig area; showers/bathroom/portapotties; slippery, broken glass, used needles, etc., on the ramp area or other bs we endure for sketch sites; wind meters to consider; tide charts to consider; big boat traffic; scenery; effect of differing wind directions; and most importantly, how is the swell?

Thanks
Ross

Ross,

I just found this. The launch area looks bucolic compared to our home launch.

Bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwyfZxu1Qgk
jse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking upwinder from SI to Pittsburgh!

Steve
ERROR!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Better River Launch Site Reply with quote

East Bay Windsurfers should want a great launch site in Bay Point. As you come over the hill on the freeway from Concord to see Bay Point on the left, you can see the white caps on the river. It would save twenty minutes of driving and the Antioch bridge toll. If Riverview Park kite sailing is a success, then maybe there would be a chance for a Bay Point windsurfing site.

Sacramento River at Bay Point.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.2 MB
 Viewed:  17015 Time(s)

Sacramento River at Bay Point.png

bob1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody windsurfed this yet?

Kiters cool with ws use? They built it, their launch imo . . . but would love to give it a go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: