myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New Gorge Event
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: New Gorge Event Reply with quote

It's probably been a long time for most, but here's a chance to help support "grass-roots windsurfing".
It'll be fun... and it's cheap... and you won't even bring your own gear Smile

Longboard buoy racing in the Gorge!!
Sat & Sun July 25 &26 - Stevenson, and or, the Event Site.
A joint venture by "US Windsurfing" and "Kona One USA"
http://www.konaone.com/
The Kona One is a 220L longboard... designed approx. 10 years ago. It's a modern, well-built version of the classic longboard, except it's a little bit shorter and a little bit wider... than most old classic longboard's. It has a retractable centerboard, nice fin, foot-straps, and a step tail which reduces water-line and drag when planning (which can give it more of a big shortboard feel).

One Design racing July 25-26 will be limited to the first 20 people signed up each day.

Kona One and US Windsurfing are bringing 20 identical boards. And they're bringing a bunch of non-cambered, fun-racing sails. The sails come in different sizes, but are designed similarly with the same performance parameters.
Kona One design racing, divides you up into weight groups, and each group has it's own sail size. You sail the course with the same Kona board and your prescribed sail size, whether racing in 5 mph, or 25 mph wind !!

Cost will be $25 per day to Charter (rent) the Kona One race kit.
There may also be a small race fee, but this is unknown right now and will be determined soon.
You won't need to bring anything except your harness.
This WILL BE FOR FUN... You don't need any previous race experience!!

And if you normally only sail a shortboard... or, you normally only sail a longboard... you will be able to do this.

Yes, there will be a few top class racers there... but they are supposed to be helping the rest of us have a good time (and I'm sure, trying to do their best Smile
Some questions will be answered here, most will be answered at the Skipper's Meeting (which happens on the beach, right before we go out). Yes, there are a few rules... but they're not going to get too technical. The main rules are - don't hit anybody (seriously, take care of the gear and each other)... play fair... be courteous and respectful... laugh and have fun !!

* More later... but for now, SAVE THE DATES *
Greg Smile
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS - No, I don't work for Kona One, or have any connection to them... I haven't even sailed one of these boards before.

I'm just a long-time NW windsurfer... and when I heard about this, I decided to jump in and try to help make it a success. Kona One has a "West Coast Tour" happening. Together with US Windsurfing, they are trying to get windsurfing more exposure and visibility. And they are trying to build recreational windsurfing in normal places... besides the hard-core windsurfing in the Gorge.

Windsurfing can be fun and enjoyable for many types of people, in many different wind conditions. Of course some, only want to sail in intense places or high wind conditions, which "I get". But I think it's important for us all to help support average basic windsurfing as well. There are lots of people out there, who would be happy sailing around in lighter conditions on a longboard... who will never have the inclination or time, to learn a planning jibe on 85L shortboard.

I've been spending a ton of time, trying to get people in the Puget Sound area to come out for events up here... and it looks to be a big success. But I think the Gorge Kona One event will be awesome too. And really fun in a different way... so I'm really looking forward to it. Planing up and down wind on that big board (if it's WINDY)... and trying to get around buoys will be a blast, LOL
Greg Smile
http://class.konaone.com/Events.aspx?code=USA&type=&pastevents=False
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird music... but nice planing jibes on a Kona One !!

http://www.konaone.com/learn-to-windsurf/guides/jibing-inspiration-juliano-scalabrin/
gregnw44

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From last Fall in Florida - Kona One World Champs -
Stevenson, in just a few weeks, could be a miniature version of this Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFch1pjBr5s

Fun for all ages... men, women, kid's... all body weight's... a very equal sailing experience... in a huge wind range!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEuTATZaHT8
PennyB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,
Thanks so much for the info! It sure looks like a lot of fun and it makes me miss my old long board.
Penny
andreas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a Kona as a family board for a while now. They can be remarkably fun to sail over a really wide range of conditions. Good glide in light stuff, fun floaty Cadillac-style planing when it gets windy, remarkably controllable, and the first time you plane through a jibe on these, you're likely to just start laughing. Good fun all around.

The Kona fleet have been getting hundreds of people out to their events on the East Coast, with fun being had by all. It's like the big grassroots events in the 80s, except with more modern gear. I love racing slalom in powered up, on the edge conditions - but damn, there's something awesome about a fun event that's extremely unlikely to suffer from conditions not being "right."
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really cool idea. I will be there, and I have informed others, especially a novice friend I have recently taught to windsurf.

I believe the Gorge Cup races are now all slalom with no upwind legs. TRIANGLE racing is fun and teaches valuable sailing skills, including upwind and downwind techniques and winning strategies. Will this be a triangle course? Is there a novice division?

Thank you.

P.S. If the windsurfing industry is serious about expanding/developing the sport, I think it would do well now (or several years ago) to lobby for a windsurf nut/fitting to be built in to most SUPs.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great replies !!

Penny - I hear you, and guess what, you don't even have to buy one Smile
Just charter (rent) one for the day. Everything's provided, just bring your harness.
Events at -
Whidbey Island (WIRW) 7/18-19
http://whidbeyislandraceweek.com/

And then 4 stops in the greater Seattle area (7/20-23)

And then the one, I want all the high wind sailors to do, 7/25-26 in the Gorge (what this post is high-lighting).

And it doesn't matter if you've never sailed one before, because almost all of us (except Andreas) have no experience on "this longboard".
This is all about getting a ton of people out on exactly the same gear, for fun, no pressure racing...and also some free-sailing.

Go here to register and sign up -
http://class.konaone.com/Events.aspx?code=USA&type=&pastevents=False

Andreas - Great thoughts and comments, thanks !!
And I agree, racing these boards will happen and will be fun, without having to wait for a certain wind minimum. I've heard from experienced Kona One racers, that the racing is very close, no matter what weight class is represented. The different size sails, for different weight classes, apparently works GREAT... with 120# and 170# and 220# racers all getting to the windward mark at the same time.
Anyway, it'd be awesome if you could make to one (or more) of the Kona One days... I know you're super busy... but I'll "cross my finger's", LOL

Biff - YES, there will be some kind of upwind legs, in the various courses they set. I'm not experienced with this kind of "course racing"... but I guess all the shapes are possible, triangle, box, M course, simple upwind / downwind, and more.
You also asked about a possible "Novice Division". I'd say "good idea". But they're only bringing 20 boards, and I know there will be one "start: for us all. However, there will be a wide range of skills in the fleet. There will be some who just started sailing a few years ago, only sail light wind's... haven't been in high wind's enough to learn water-starts, etc.
And I hope there will be some pro types, to give us some pointers!

Remember, click on the link above to get registered and signed up !!
"The more the merrier" Smile
Greg -
PennyB

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Greg,
I know it is likely that I will be somewhere handy to at least one of these events in the Seattle area or the gorge.
I re-read you post and went to the registration site. At the Sandpoint race you are in, July 22nd, it looks like folks can come early and try the gear with out racing which is very cool.
It looks like the pre race stuff will be from 1-6 for the event at Sandpoint.
Penny
PS: looks like both you and Giovanni are lined up to go at Bob's in Stevenson. There does not appear to be a pre race opportunity to try the gear. Hope to see you there.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penny (and other's)... sorry for the delay, all my free time has been spent promoting these NW Kona Tour stops Smile

Regarding the 4 stops in the greater Seattle area -
Two will have one design racing... and the other two will be fun sail sessions, with a likely informal parade, LOL
Only 3 of the days are listed on the Kona site (link in early post)... but YES, there are 4 events in this area!!
No experience is required for the races, it's for fun and learning some new things. Some people will be competitive, but most are totally supportive, who just want everyone to have fun... there is no pressure.
The daily schedule for next Mon - Thu will be approx. 2 - 9 each day. Yes, there will be chances to try out the gear at them all.
For the 2 night's with racing, the races will start around 6-ish.

For "next weekends" Kona Gorge Race (the theme of this thread)... which is likely at Stevenson, the exact timing isn't known. However, there "will be" chances to try the gear... and chances to race. I will press the visiting Kona team to add more info to the Gorge race page in the link. I will see them early Sat morning (day after tomorrow) up on Whidbey Island for the 2 day races up at Whidbey Island Race Week... so I will ask them to do that.
Greg Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: