myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
clamp-on front end with wrong orientataion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goodwind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:44 am    Post subject: clamp-on front end with wrong orientataion Reply with quote

The clamp-on front end of my new boom has a wrong (opposite) orientation. I mean if I rig it the same way I do with all my other booms, the logo becomes up side down and all the adjustment holes on the tail piece are facing up. My concern is that water inside the end piece won't be able to drain during sailing. Is this a real issue?
techno900

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not. The amount of water will only be a few ounces. Sure it would be better to have the holes down, and you can do that by flipping the boom over. From my experience, all (most) booms while rigging (port side of the sail up - or left hand forward) have the clamps with the hinge side down. In other words, you flip the clamp up to close. Of course, some will rig with the other side up, but this is the way I rig mine.

If your boom was assembled incorrectly, then you just flip it over and clamp the opposite way. Where the uphaul attaches or where the line cleat is located on the boom head may impact which way it sits. Depending in the boom head and how it is attached, you could possibly remove it and flip it over.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own and have owned MANY brands of booms. I rig starboard side up and clamp handle up, with no regard for hole or logo orientation (I have no idea which logos or holes may be up vs down.) I don't notice any water retention, especially now that most booms are foam-filled.

I just went out and examined all my booms, which include four brands. There's no consistent logo/hole/clamp orientation between brands or even within any brand. It seems random.

Mike \m/
spennie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very important to have the holes in your boom oriented properly! If the holes aren't on the correct side, the aerodynamics will be off, changing the bilateral pressure variables on the boom, which could result in transsectional confabulated boom de-syncronization. I'd just go buy a new boom.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be cheaper to just drill opposing holes.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
It's very important to have the holes in your boom oriented properly! If the holes aren't on the correct side, the aerodynamics will be off, changing the bilateral pressure variables on the boom, which could result in transsectional confabulated boom de-syncronization. I'd just go buy a new boom.

Just looking at my boom this has been the cause of several hi speed mishaps.

Cool

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: