myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board repair supplies
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Board repair supplies Reply with quote

I recently dinged the nose of my board and want to repair it myself. It's an older board that will need to be replaced soon due to delamination under the foot straps, so I figured it's a good board to get started on with repairs. I have no repair experience, but I have built a windsurf board once, a few decades ago.

I need to order repair supplies, since this is obviously not a ding stick repair. I'd appreciate any suggestions where to order glass fiber mats and epoxy, and what exactly to order.

I will re-read the instructions on the board lady site before starting, but any other tips for the repair would also be great.

SideView.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  386.22 KB
 Viewed:  31718 Time(s)

SideView.JPG

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is aDING?

It's a major damage AREA

The cost of repair materials will exceed the value of the board, WHICH WILL SOON DELAM.

Do your self a favor and stop now.

West System epoxy is available from a variety of sources, West Marine should have a store need by.

FIBERGLASS SUPPLY WILL HAVE IT ALL.

BOARDLADY IS. A great source.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following two companies are good sources for fiberglass and cloth, with Fiberglass Supply being great for finboxes, mast tracks, and footstrap inserts and other parts you might need for repairs. While both of these companies carry epoxy, hardners, and fillers, I'm with U2U2U2 about using West System epoxy products from West Marine. They have a local store in town, and that way I can keep shipping costs down.

http://www.fiberglasshawaii.com

www.fiberglasssupply.com/

If you're located on the east coast, you might consider Jamestown Distributors in Bristol, RI. They also carry West System products, to include the Total Boat brand.

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/main.do

Lastly, I would recommend picking up a free copy of West System User Manuel, Product Guide 002-950. It covers the full range of their products with detailed instructions for use. It's an invaluable source and reference guide.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will add that swchandler has given advise on my projects that has been great.

rigitrite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can fix that. You'll have to cut away all the broken laminate and maybe do some reshaping of the foam, but you can definitely fix it. I seriously doubt it would delaminte either. West System is great stuff, but it's expensive. I got sick of paying top dollar for no benefit I could quantify, and started buying here:
http://www.uscomposites.com/

You will be hard pressed to beat them on price. $100 should get you enough materials for several repairs. [/i]

rigitrite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take that back: ~$50 should get you enough for several repairs:
1/2 gallon thin epoxy + fast hardner = $38
2 yds 6 oz S2 glass cloth = $15

Go to auto paint store and buy a set of measured plastic mixing cups, stir sticks, latex gloves.

Repair your board

boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the responses, very helpful. I placed the order for supplies, and will get to work when they arrive.

Compared to some of the images on the Board Lady site, the damage is not extreme. Getting all the supplies will cost a couple of hundred dollars, but they'll last for quite a few repairs. And better to get started with an old board...
bred2shred

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also been very happy with products from uscomposites.com.

Their prices are very reasonable and the products seem to work very well. I've purchased fiberglass, carbon, mat, epoxy, polyester, polyurethane foam, and numerous other products from them and all have worked out just fine.

For this particular repair, I would think 16 oz of epoxy+hardener, a couple yards of 8 oz glass cloth, and possibly some expanding foam if core replacement is required. Plus latex gloves, acetone, 1" disposable brushes, graduated mixing cups, various grades of sand paper, Formula 27 filler, paint.....

sm
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's apparent that some have not read that the board is already delaminated under the straps.

I do hope that you have purchased NOT fast hardner, in the West Systems epoxy the slo gets hot enough to melt the insides if used too thick.

I use only slow or tropical which is very slow.

You will continue to add products to your list, I would use probably divinycell
Or matt for the inside, pour foam 8lb a option maybe, if you don't have enough structure /support the first hit will knock it apart.

swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quart of epoxy, to include hardener, is the lion's share of the cost for materials. That's probably $60-70. Add other basics like a filler, fiberglass, acetone, a few grades of sandpaper, masking tape and some gradulated plastic cups, and maybe that's $100 total. Let's not get carried away with things. The thought that you need 2 yards of fiberglass cloth for this repair is outlandish. You have to remember that the typical width of fiberglass cloth is 30-50". A yard of 6 oz. E glass for surfboards is a sufficient weight, and it's more than enough to cover this repair and more, and that's only about $6.00.

For typical repairs, the idea that you need to buy measuring pumps for the epoxy and hardener is a total waste of money. Graduated containers is all you need, and I often reuse them over and over. Also, cleaning your brushes for reuse saves money, and you can use an old toothbrush handle to mix up your epoxy. I have to admit to that I've never bought latex gloves for resin work, and I've done a lot of work over the last 10 years in my home remodel projects.

One tool that I think is well worth the investment is a high quality squeegee. I bought a Thalco brand squeegee that's a standard in the surfboard industry, and it has served me well for almost 20 years. In addition, I highly recommend spending the extra for 3M White Marine Putty for fine fairing work, like filling the weave of laminated fiberglass and air bubbles. I'm still using the original tube that I bought in 1992.

boardsurfr, I'm glad that you're stepping up to do your own repair work. By following the expertise and guidance provided by the Boardlady and her website, you're definitely on the right path. When you get right down to it, repairing most dings and bashes is relatively easy, as long as you don't rush it and follow a well thought out step by step plan. It takes some time to do it right, but in the end, you'll have a quality repair that you can be proud of.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: