myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ABK Windsurf Camps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
collinsdon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2000 2:00 pm    Post subject: ABK Windsurf Camps Reply with quote

Does anybody have an opinion on ABK windsurf camp for a beginner (25 hrs experience). I am considering signing up for the Rio Vista camp. thanks
jwallace

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2000 3:01 pm    Post subject: RE: ABK Windsurf Camps Reply with quote

They are great for any level. In fact, beginners will see more immediate results than intermediate to advance sailors, imo. I went my second year of sailing and learned how to water started that very weekend. The next year, I was able to get in the straps in one weekend.
vadler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2000 1:28 pm    Post subject: RE: ABK Windsurf Camps Reply with quote

I just went to the 4 day San Luis camp two weeks ago. I had sailed about 5-7 times before I went. In the first two days I nailed tacking and jibing, got into the harness, beachstarted and on my way to water starting. It is a very well run organization, the campers and instructors are great and yes, the food is very good too! I highly recommend it. My boyfriend who has sailed for 10 years (but never had formal instruction) came down for the night and learned a lot from the vidoe critique that they do every night. He is now going to take a Rio 4 day clinic in July!

The instructors definitely recommend 4 days because there is just that much more time to soak in all that they are teaching. Their goal is to teach you what you need to know for a year...then go back the next year for more instruction! I know people who have gone five times. Do it!
daniellemckenney

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2000 10:32 pm    Post subject: RE: ABK Windsurf Camps Reply with quote

I went to the 4-day at San Luis about 2 months ago, and had a very good experience. I consider myself an intermediate sailor, because I was getting my waterstarts pretty often but was having a hard time staying in control in the plane and was not getting into the footstraps. The course was perfect for me, because I needed some serious technique teaching: this is first gear: weight-down on your boom; this is second gear, get your weight pushing sideways on your board; heres third gear... etc, etc. Just what the doctor ordered. I also watched people who had never sailed before learn to uphaul, stand perfectly, tack and jibe with confidence and even start beachstarting within 4 days. I think the class is excellent for anyone less than an expert. Ive improved so much on my basics, and had such a fun time last month, Im definitely planning another camp next summer. Highly recommend it.
leonw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2000 10:44 am    Post subject: RE: ABK Windsurf Camps Reply with quote

After having sailed for almost 11 years, I broke down and signed up for an ABK. Best idea in a long time. I had been on the water sporadically the last 4 years and the camp really helped tweak a few things (cleaned up my jibes almost overnight). We had 2 people who had taken a lesson the week before and they wound up in the harness in 20+. Im looking forward to my next one, when we take on serious B&J. Enjoy, its well worth the $$.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: