myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Looking for windsurfing spots around Finger Lakes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hammerton

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Looking for windsurfing spots around Finger Lakes Reply with quote

Hi, I hope I'm not the only one intent on windsurfing in Northern PA/upstate NY. I am moving to Wellsboro PA which is about an hour south of the Finger Lakes. I've done a bit of weather research and it looks like the South shore of Lake Ontario gets some wind, although I am guessing that is close to 3 hours away from me. There are a bunch of small lakes near me but Seneca Lake is the nearest substantial piece of water. With all the hills in that part of the country I am wondering if there is somewhere that gets a Gorge type of effect accelerating the wind.

If anyone has any information I would be grateful if you could share.

I am bringing race sails from 6.0 to 8.0 and boards from custom speed needle up to 135l.
Griffin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seneca Lake at the north end in Geneva is the number 2 spot for wind and water conditions other than Lake Ontario. So check out the distance from PA.

Also visit the website Rochesterwindsports.com for posts about the area launch sites and sailing discussions.
RickCronk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check here for info as well: http://windsurfresource.com/rochester.htm

Clute Park in Watkins Glen will have you covered for northerly winds. The state park at the north end of Seneca Lke for southerly. A number of other locations as well along most of the Finger Lakes. The bigger lakes do get some funneling effects from N and S winds.

Good luck.

skyking1231

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine lived on lake cayuga for awhile. If wind is out of n or south ( more like nw) i can get pretty 'gorge-like'. Summer sucked.....fall was better. Don't know about spring.
hammerton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information, very helpful Very Happy
geohaye

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, there are several useful weather stations in the area on iWindsurf, Tom:
http://wx.iwindsurf.com/map#42.88,-77.03,10,1

Screen Shot 2015-07-31 at 8.44.51 AM.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.64 MB
 Viewed:  22380 Time(s)

Screen Shot 2015-07-31 at 8.44.51 AM.png

isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skyking1231 wrote:
..fall was better. Don't know about spring.

I do. I moved to upstate NY in a November, and didn't see bare ground until the next May. Hell, our first bare pavement was in April, and even that was rare and fleeting. And the winters have gotten worse since I was there; Rochester STILL has mounds of snow from last winter in its parking lots.

I suggest the OP buy a 6mm dry suit, add ice blades to his quiver, and mark off August 3rd for summer where water sports are concerned. Hot weather runs a little longer (and UNY got hotter than Albuquerque does), but the water in big lakes barely notices that.

I thoroughly enjoyed my five years in Uppa New Yawk, but on dirt bikes, snowmobiles, skis, snowboards, etc., all of which kept me humping, very fit, and adrenaline-pumped several days a week year 'round. Forecasts simply tweaked my attire and toy selection for a given day, rather than being a go/no go determinant. Its dependency on wind renders WSing a PITA when it's one's go-to sport.

The Fingers are big water, and must get some big wet terrain if and when any significant wind lines up with their fetch. Finding launch spots in advance is good thinking, but the most promising approach, IMO, is to expand your toy quiver. Relying on WSing for UNY recreation is much like relying on snow skis when moving to Miami.

Mike \m/
gmclean

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember sailing some good north winds on Cayuga Lake back in the early 80s. I am pretty sure it was post frontal winds so watch for Fall cold fronts. I think we sailed out of Myers park which is north of Ithaca on the east side of the lake.
hammerton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi George, where do you think I did my weather research? Laughing

Actually it was also supplemented with Wunderground - they have great archives for pretty much everywhere in the world.

The container left this morning - now contains race sails from 5.0 to 9.0 so I think I've got it covered. I put the 5.0 and 5.5 in there for when the water turns solid. I was looking to find brad Miley if anyone has any contact details for him. I believe he is quite into the ice sailing thing and I haven't a clue where to start.
wdsurf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject: eastern great lakes@finger lakes Reply with quote

have been sailing the last two days on eastern lake erie in head high swell with 5.0 and 85 ltr. wave board and gonna have 2 more days if forecast holds true 185 lbs. sailing 33years.the girls 115lbs. 3.5,s with 75 ltr. boards and kiters were on 6m kites the rochester crew were there and i drive 180miles round trip to score there from western pa.. Exclamation there are wind and waves but they ain,t always at your doorstep.i live 5min. from the water in pa. on lake erie and due the i-90 shuffle to eastern lake erie were the real wind is Exclamation

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  530.54 KB
 Viewed:  22308 Time(s)

image.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: