myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where has the civility gone
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgda

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Where has the civility gone Reply with quote

Maybe it is just me, but I think pretty much every time I have been sailing at the Hatch this year, and perhaps more on the weekends than weekdays, someone is yelling and dropping f-bombs about "some other idiot" who "got in there way," or did something they didn't like.

I have observed some of these interactions on the water as well, and I have to say it seems that more often than not, these are over the top reactions to events where safety was clearly not an issue. Yes, there are a few certified jerks on the water, but for the most part, I don't think most of these tantrums are really justified.

It seems that if folks would just look around a bit more for others, reviewed the rules of right of way (and kept them in mind while sailing), shared the swell, and perhaps were a little more tolerant of the newbies who are learning to sail at that level, it would create a nicer place to sail.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imo this is a fairly typical reaction the way the world is now. People have grown up with no manners respect and your word civility. They , well some , have problems driving , can't be bother to say thank you. They , again some seem to think the world owes them something.

Your post is insight full, unfortunate little will change

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
jse

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was up there for the Sunday blow. Seemed everyone got along well. We were visiting so I don't know the spot that well. If you want to get away from the fur-ball and avoid the crowd, is the downwind area a better place to sail? Seems like all the good swell is concentrated in a narrow band of the river, with the far side pretty choppy - not what you sail the Hatch for.

Steve
johnl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the reasons I avoid the hatch during peak sailing season. The hatch is an advanced sailing site yet that seems to no longer have meaning. Many "non advanced" sailors go there every summer. That causes conflict and people are far less forgiving these days.

I can't tell how many times a jibe lesson requests the hatch for the location. I always refuse.......
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repeat after me "downwind of the Hatch is a horrible place to sail, and the
swell is terrible" "downwind of the Hatch is a horrible place to sail, and the
swell is terrible" "downwind of the Hatch is a horrible place to sail, and the
swell is terrible"

Now try the following:
"I love the Event Site"
"I love the Event Site"
"I love the Event Site"

You know that's where you wanna be! ;*)

-Craig

jse wrote:
If you want to get away from the fur-ball and avoid the crowd, is the downwind area a better place to sail? Seems like all the good swell is concentrated in a narrow band of the river, with the far side pretty choppy - not what you sail the Hatch for.

Steve
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to this. There's a lot of Kook'n at the Hatchery these days.

And, thanks for giving those lessons somewhere where the pupil
can actually have some sucess and learn something.

-Craig

johnl wrote:
The hatch is an advanced sailing site yet that seems to no longer have meaning. Many "non advanced" sailors go there every summer. That causes conflict and people are far less forgiving these days.

I can't tell how many times a jibe lesson requests the hatch for the location. I always refuse.......
castnoshadow

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that the hatch has always been at times a bit "agro" with sailors of varying ability, mostly experienced. If anything, it seems less crowded and agro than in years past. (10 years ago or more)

I don't seem to notice any yelling, cussing etc. Mostly just folks having fun.

Just my 2cents

Brian
a-might-bit-goosty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, I get it the scarcity issue: not enough parking or sailing area for the hordes who come. And I get why they come - since it's the same reason as me. It's close, windy, and swell-y.
But holy hell the attitude (in parking lot and on river) sucks, unlike every other sailing spot in the Gorge. SO much more enjoyable sailing Doug's and Rufus this week.
philodog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, I must hang out at the happy spot in the parking lot. I rarely hear bad attitude and have never seen the "certified jerks" on the water. I`m thinking rookie Hatch sailors aren`t used to people who actually ride swell rather than BAF and aren`t comfortable with "certified jerks" sailing circles around them. Oh well. that`s just part of the learning process.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valid reasons novices may sense incivility or even aggression at the Hatch or any other advanced venue include:
• They get in the way of, often even endanger, more advanced sailors rippin' up rare terrain. I still avoid Kodak Point once the experts arrive in number to get out of their way, I had no business floundering on my Equipe at the crowded Hatch in 1984, and we've all seen some total noobs clogging it up. That's just selfish, because they don't need the best swell to challenge and improve themselves.

• Many of them feel threatened merely by crowds, let alone advanced sailors doing stuff those novices aren't used to. I've seen sailors literally crash just because someone slashed down a swell 200 feet in front of them, seen a novice totally out of control at the Hatch yelling "Look out; I'm out of control" and apparently expecting everyone else to just go somewhere else so she could flounder in the best swell, and I've seen "turrists" shout angrily at advanced sailors doin' advanced stuff.

If ya don't like the heat ...

• There are some bona fide hemorrhoids on the water (and on land). We ALL complain about them, and some (not enough) have had the law sicced on them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: