myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
First Timer in need of some help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChadRichterTZQj

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: First Timer in need of some help! Reply with quote

Hello I recently was given a board today. It seems to be an older Xantos 285. I am 6'5" 210 pounds and have no idea how to wind surf but I tend to pick things up pretty easy. I am used to boarding like long boarding and wake boarding. I just have a few concerns like maybe some of the basics. When the appropriate time is to go(wind wise)? Is it acceptable on smaller lakes? Is this board a nice board for me? Also is it something I could pick up with some time like can I just hop on the board and go or what?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what i can find ...
F2 Xantos 285 is 118 liters, 285 cm long and 57.5 cm wide
the 295 was 133 liters ...

i weigh about 105 kilos/230 pounds and sail longboards down to 124 liters/63 cm wide short boards

in small lakes i use the longboards
in larger lakes one can use whatever the wind and chop dictates

that board is smaller than anything i have and thus must be a high wind board
as a starter board with our weight ??? no uphauling ...
good luck with that Crying or Very sad
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: First Timer in need of some help! Reply with quote

Greetings Chad,

A Xantos 285 (118 ltrs flotation) at your weight is not a good board to learn
on, no matter how quickly you pick things up. If you are in a location where
the wind is always blowing a minimum of 20 MPH then it might work.
It could however be a great 2nd board after you learn the basics. Smaller
lakes are typically gusty, and you'll need a lot more floatation, and a
board designed with a center board (which the Xantos does not have)
for your 1st few days.

For learning, the appropriate time to go (with a beginner board) would
be when the wind is blowing 5-10MPH. I think in your case, with that board
your only chance of anything other than frustration, would be if the
wind were consistently 20MPH, and you got really really lucky.

Here's a little video to see what learning should look like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GbSXn37f5k

You didn't mention how big your sail is, but at your size, something
in the 5 to 6M range would be appropriate.

In my opinion, this is not a sport you can just "pick up" (like say wake
boarding). I am 6'3" and have been a performance sport guy pretty much my
whole life. I'm also self taught (which is not the route I would recommend
but is plenty doable). If you have a lot of experience with sailing, and
surfing, then you might get a little crossover, but there is very little that
is obvious about this sport, and it tends to favor lighter people, unless
you live somewhere really windy.

It is however the most fun adrenaline junkie sport I've been exposed to,
and after more than 30 years, still a great joy for me.

Get a more floaty "long board" (that is a board with a center board),
and try that out 1st. The uphauling stage (from the video) will be
a lot more fulfilling that way.

Good luck, and ask more questions at your convenience,

-Craig

ChadRichterTZQj wrote:
Hello I recently was given a board today. It seems to be an older Xantos 285. I am 6'5" 210 pounds and have no idea how to wind surf but I tend to pick things up pretty easy. I am used to boarding like long boarding and wake boarding. I just have a few concerns like maybe some of the basics. When the appropriate time is to go(wind wise)? Is it acceptable on smaller lakes? Is this board a nice board for me? Also is it something I could pick up with some time like can I just hop on the board and go or what?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfing will take take some effort. Your weight and size board it will be easier in 10 mph or so, 15 to much, 5 not enough. As said the sail size needs to be small enough to be manageable, 5.5 about right.

You should be able to find a video for rigging the sail mast boom attachment to board, thinking these came with....? A fin need to be inserted into the box, the fin type is called a powerbox.

The F2, which I had, new about 1997, is a short board, called back then, it was not a high wind board but a transaistion from a starter board that would have had a dagger/centerboard, this would aide greatly a new sailor, so this is not a great or semi ideal platform to learn on, it's hard enough already.

Be prepared for some frustrating times, falling in, if lucky to get going you will have steering difficulty.
The board itself for intended use is great, intermediate, not beginner.
Cheers

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
adywind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, consider this an exception to the things you'll learn fast and easy. Start by looking for information about windsurfing basics online and book yourself a trip to a place where you can take few beginner lessons /if there isn't one near where you live/. Find out if there is a local club, website, popular for windsurfing body of water and ask around for lessons, tips on equipment etc. etc. It is a surprisingly complex sport and it needs a serious approach if you want to make a fast...any progress.
As the previous posters said-that board is not good for a 200 lb beginner.
PS: Why don't you tell us where you are located? I'm sure there will be members living in your area willing to help you out.
akrausz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most old longboards are not ideal for learning by today's standards, because they are narrow...but they're doable, and some are worth keeping forever. Be careful because replacement mast track parts and daggerboards are quite scarce.

If you spend the money, recent equipment will remove almost all of the advantage a lighter sailor had years ago. All you need to be a great sailor is athleticism, time on the water, and lots of wind. If you're serious, nothing will give you a better head start than traveling to a good rental/instruction center.

Is it a "hop on the board and go" kind of sport? Not so much...but lot's of great help around here.

Edit: I see you asked the same question in the regional forum. Shocked
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a feller your size you would need at least 18kts to get going on that board. You would also need to be able to water start which since you have wake boarded is the equivalent of being pulled out of the water onto a plane by a boat except instead of a boat you will have wind pushing the sail and pulling you out of the water. Until you learn that necessary skill the Xantos will make a nice addition to the wall in your living room.

Windsurfing has a very steep learning curve. First you have to learn to up haul and the basics of sailing. For that you need a giant, stable board and a small sail. Buying that stuff will suck because once you get the hang of it you'll probably never use it again. Lessons are a great way to go because they have all that beginner stuff. Some places even have the more advanced stuff to which you can use while you progress.

When I learned to windsurf I had been a surfer for 30 years and had sailed small boats so I knew the basics yet I could not teach myself if my life depended on it. I finally took a lesson which began with a ground simulator then I got it. After which I was hooked and could not progress fast enough.

So good luck to you, I hope you can learn this great sport and eventually put that free board to good use.
akrausz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are older boards, especially the race longboards in the 230+ liter range, that are a little narrow for your first couple weekends. But after minimal progression, they might work great (and possibly forever). A half-way decent 5.0-6.0 sail for learning could be a keeper too.

I was about 215 pounds, and that is what I did. The "dump your first board in a month" approach is not your only option....check out previous discussions.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some suggestions about a longboard being better, yes, but the really better is a proper newer starter Like A STARBOARD GO OR SIMILAR.

the learning curve as said on the F2 will be like a rocket.

You might think to sell the F2 , and invest some more.

Proper initial instruction would be invaluable, a video at the very least, all these things from those that have traveled the path

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: