myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where has the civility gone
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not by me anyway ;*)

-Craig

isobars wrote:
So it's OK -- I won't get my tires slashed -- if I park my MoHo there in Oct? Smile
hoodvista

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean to tell me that if I don't make 100% of my jibes I shouldn't sail at the Hatchery? Even launching from the cove? Giimme a break.

johnl wrote:

Reminds me of a day 2 summers ago. It was a moderate day (mid 4's sail). I went out of the cove for a lazy run. I came in after an hour plus and a woman on the beach couldn't believe my hair was still completely dry (this was a year I was protesting haircuts). I was having fun slashing and jibing on the swell and going for small jumps, nothing even remotely extreme.

My feeling is you should be capable of that (capable, poo still happens) or you should be sailing somewhere else. Yet that is an indication of the level of people sailing there.
CUSalin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as it ever was Laughing
johnl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoodvista wrote:
You mean to tell me that if I don't make 100% of my jibes I shouldn't sail at the Hatchery? Even launching from the cove? Giimme a break.

johnl wrote:

Reminds me of a day 2 summers ago. It was a moderate day (mid 4's sail). I went out of the cove for a lazy run. I came in after an hour plus and a woman on the beach couldn't believe my hair was still completely dry (this was a year I was protesting haircuts). I was having fun slashing and jibing on the swell and going for small jumps, nothing even remotely extreme.

My feeling is you should be capable of that (capable, poo still happens) or you should be sailing somewhere else. Yet that is an indication of the level of people sailing there.

I didn't say that, work on your reading skills. I did say you should be CAPABLE of making your jibes or quite frankly you aren't an advanced sailor. Once upon a time people respected that some sites had advanced or intermediate conditions and waited till they were at that level before sailing there. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case anymore....
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CUSalin wrote:
Same as it ever was Laughing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98AJUj-qxHI
Bonehead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I'm the exception but I remember doing
lots of flailing about at the Hatchery in the mid 80s when I learned how to sail. Missed plenty of jibes but the stoke factor was high and I don't remember anyone getting too annoyed. Less gray hair in the sport back then--maybe we get grumpier as we age.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoodvista wrote:

What I said was that *I* don't sail the main point once the crowds arrive. That spot is special to its fans, just as any good swell is special to me. The difference is that on my worse days I miss a LOT of jibes and thus get in the way of the point's regulars when it's crowded. I can challenge my skills just fine 50 yards east or west, so why get in their way? Besides, I like variety, so I don't WANNA smack the same dang humps for even a whole session, let alone a whole morning or day.

For when I want to sail right there, I have three solutions:
1. DAWN patrol. Not this mid-morning, 7 o'clock, WAZZZUP crap ... frigging DAWN, as in planing long before the sun hits the river.
2. Sailing there only in months not containing the string of letters, "JULY".
3. Hanging in there if it doesn't get crowded AND I'm hitting most jibes AND I wanna. OTOH, why would I even WANNA sail elbow to elbow with that many people? It's so confining once the hordes arrive, particularly since I WANNA sail east and west so much more than most corridor sailors do.

Here's the catch: just as I concede the point to the regulars and other sailors who have it dialed in, I think it's only fair for the next tier to expect some concessions from people who don't need the best swell for their chosen style of sailing. Just as my crashes unnecessarily constipate The Point, lawn mowers constipate good (i.e., rare) swell. Frankly, that seems selfish to me, much like driving 80 kph in the left lane of ANY freeway, let alone the Autobahn. It's not about "shouldn't" for me; it's about conscientious allocation of valuable resources best suited to some particular style of sailing. People mowing swell have little legitimate reason to complain when swell riders, luffed or in afterburner, cross their paths a little too close for comfort. One can't ride (or jump from) swells on the flats, but one can mow the lawn on the flats, of which there's plenty at most venues most days.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Fair", maybe, but just like you get the occasional traverser, on a pristine powder field so also may you get a lawn mower in the swell.

When it happens I just figure "Oh Well" and keep on turning. Then again
my middle name is "civil." ;*)...... and my second middle name is "party wave." ;*) ;*)

-Craig

isobars wrote:
just as I concede the point to the regulars and other sailors who have it dialed in, I think it's only fair for the next tier to expect some concessions from people who don't need the best swell for their chosen style of sailing. Just as my crashes unnecessarily constipate The Point, lawn mowers constipate good (i.e., rare) swell. Frankly, that seems selfish to me, much like driving 80 kph in the left lane of ANY freeway, let alone the Autobahn. It's not about "shouldn't" for me; it's about conscientious allocation of valuable resources best suited to some particular style of sailing. People mowing swell have little legitimate reason to complain when swell riders, luffed or in afterburner, cross their paths a little too close for comfort. One can't ride (or jump from) swells on the flats, but one can mow the lawn on the flats, of which there's plenty at most venues most days.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
"Fair", maybe, but just like you get the occasional traverser, on a pristine powder field so also may you get a lawn mower in the swell.

When it happens I just figure "Oh Well" and keep on turning.

I won't, once it gets that crowded. I'm just not that willing to scare the crap out of, let alone hit, someone who just doesn't get swell.

Now if they get it and still hide in others' blind spots, maybe it's time they crapped their wetsuits. Smile

Both a blind spot tailgater and I were surprised when I took a big fattie for a ride eastward last Wed at Rufus. I simply swerved back upwind out of his way (or accelerated to clear his path sooner; don't recall which), but I'm guessing he had a case of the BIGEYES. That, or there was some other reason he waggled his kite up and down very rapidly whenever we rounded our jibes to face each other across the river.

Not to worry, dood; as long as I SEE you, I'll give you half of the river regardless of which hand is forward. Yep ... the boring upwind half is all yours. Very Happy
isobans

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staying in the straps makes it too easy, and does not simulate a jibe entry. Get that back foot in its carving spot, don't bear off yet, sail at top speed without bearing off, and you'll either get a better feel for entering a jibe or you'll slowly fall off the board on the upwind side. If the latter, make damned sure your front foot is free to come out of its strap as you topple.

On a broader note, your collective discussion about jibing of late implies to me that you just don't feel comfortable, competent, and fully in control when sailing and slashing at maximum speed on rough water. That's far easier, and IMO an earlier requirement, than planing through jibes. It sounds like you're trying to compete as an American Ninja before learning to play hopskotch. As I've said before, I got nowhere with fully planing jibes in chop until I could confidently slash rights and lefts while WFO in chop and/or swell. The innate, subconscious steering skills and confidence involved in that process are invaluable in planing through high speed, rough water jibes even if your arc is smooth and consistent. OTOH, if one is still having to think about board control, his conscious mind is cluttered with stuff better devoted to all the OTHER new crap involved in planing jibes.

If nothing else, how much we need to bear off depends on the amount of speed and power on tap. Bearing off is to gain speed; it's unnecessary if we're already at top speed. Some guy wrote a whole article on that years ago, explaining when and how much we need to bear off, and thus sail across chop unhooked and/or unstrapped. The article reinforced exactly what I had been doing and advocating for years. The guy's name was Robby Naish. Brucie knows.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: