myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Good sail to get my kids going?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rangerider

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Good sail to get my kids going? Reply with quote

What would be a good sail for lake sailing with a windSup (or 145L JP xcite ride but that would come later) to get my 10yo (5'3" 105 lbs) and my 13yo (6'3" 145 lbs) started. My 13 yo is already getting going somewhat with a 6.5M freeride sail but my 10yo can't uphaul it. I have considered getting something in the 4.5M range from windance used. I am resistant to the idea of buying something that is a "beginner sail" that will only get used a couple times and then be worthless but I'm open to any suggestions. Something softer like an Ezzy legacy or tiger or hot sails superfreak was where I was leaning if I could find one used
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Good sail to get my kids going? Reply with quote

A beater 4.5 Northwave Surflite isn't "soft" like a Superfreak, but
they do fill and depower slowly, and would make a reasonable
beginner sail on a windsup, though maybe a little heavy for your
10 year old.

Your 13 year old is 6'3" and 145 lbs! That is a youthfull physique!

He probably hates it now, but he'll have is pick of the herd when he's
in college

I was at one time 6'3" and 155 lbs, but that was a long time ago.

-Craig

rangerider wrote:
What would be a good sail for lake sailing with a windSup (or 145L JP xcite ride but that would come later) to get my 10yo (5'3" 105 lbs) and my 13yo (6'3" 145 lbs) started. My 13 yo is already getting going somewhat with a 6.5M freeride sail but my 10yo can't uphaul it. I have considered getting something in the 4.5M range from windance used. I am resistant to the idea of buying something that is a "beginner sail" that will only get used a couple times and then be worthless but I'm open to any suggestions. Something softer like an Ezzy legacy or tiger or hot sails superfreak was where I was leaning if I could find one used
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started my son on a mistral 2.2 goofy sail when he was 7 and about 55 lbs. He caught on quickly and moved to 3m Hot Sails Spyder wave. Then very quickly to Ezzy 4.5/5.2 wave se.

He really was stoked and spent hours working on his sailing. The venue was Pimlico Sound OBX. Pretty sure he was in the straps and harnessed in by 8 or so. Really fun seeing him fly across the water.
Board was an old 9ft Preister from 1988.
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started my son on a mistral 2.2 goofy sail when he was 7 and about 55 lbs. He caught on quickly and moved to 3m Hot Sails Spyder wave. Then very quickly to Ezzy 4.5/5.2 wave se.

He really was stoked and spent hours working on his sailing. The venue was Pimlico Sound OBX. Pretty sure he was in the straps and harnessed in by 8 or so. Really fun seeing him fly across the water.
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDawg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a size and weight difference on the boys.
I would look at the size more than which brand sail. Superfreak would be a top pick, the kids version is too small already.

I got a older Naish for 12$ at the local swap in 3.7, smaller sizes are usually cheap and little use. But I think a 5.0 would could be a size both may benefit from now, larger later of course.6.5 is too large to handle for learning.

Search ebay, Craigslist, the iwindsurf classifieds. Stay away from cammed sails

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a lake, the wind is puffy, shaky and changes direction all the time. The lightest kit possible is important for beginners because they spend a lot of energy moving the kit around trying to figure out what is going on. I tried using smaller wave sails and they are too heavy. Also, since they don't fill with wind, they are harder to read than a soft sail.

I bought an Aerotech WindSUP 4.0 sail and I find its perfect for my beginner family. My wife and daughter (130 and 100) are happy with it. My sister, about 130, had big success with it a few days ago too. It's inexpensive, and will fit a 370 mast and a normal wishbone too.

For you older son, you could even get a free old 6.0 dacron sail that will work better for him in lighter winds. If the wind picks up, the 6.5 freeride should be good for him if he manages.

The situation would be different if the wind was good and steady, I would then use my own sails, or buy a Legacy.
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And those sails have longer booms so they are less twitchy around the COE.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: