myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
First timer need some help!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jse wrote:
Hey Chad, Don't be discouraged by the comments like "It's easily the hardest thing you will ever learn" or something like that. It is difficult, but I had an exchange student sailing high winds in Maui and the gorge in less than 6 months. My son competed in King of the Caribbean after less than a year on the water. Of course we're talking about kids ...

... and Zuckerburg and Gates and Naish. Many of the rest of us wretched, NORMAL peons, including accomplished athletes, obtained engineering, law, ... hell, in many cases medical ... degrees in less time than it took us to figure out planing jibes.

Don't be discouraged by THAT, either, because its point is not to dissuade you. Its point is to keep your ego and expectations in check, have a ton of FUN, take any lessons you can find, watch instructional videos, and don't get discouraged when your learning pace is ... well ... discouraging. Measure your fun by the size and duration of your grin, not by a checklist. And remember that if your grin lasts longer than four hours ... shoot for 5, then 8, maybe even 10, as it is NOT a medical emergency.
kiethordrum

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email me, "drumandkite@gmail.com". I started last summer, at 50 yrs old, like you, super athletic. Much beginers gear is avail free. I did 20 days on beg gear from the 90's. 45 days or so on intermediate gear, also dirt cheap from the 90's. Now on day 85, starting advanced gear, (sub 115 liter bds) in 18+ winds. I bought 9 bds, ave $ 25 each. I bought 21 sails, ave $15 each. I will wait one more yr to buy newer modern equip.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jse wrote:
So get lessons, watch videos, have fun. I used to own a Xantos 285 and it was a good learning board for my 13 year old son for about 3 weeks. Go for a wide board, or better yet, get a SUP that you can attach a mast to. You will have big fun right away. And when there's no wind, go paddling.

Steve

I like the SUP idea for a beginner longboard. Tough to find a cheap one now as it is so fashionable and prices are very high, but soon the market will be flooded with many with minor dings/repairs for good prices by owners who dislike imperfection and the hard work of SUP (especially paddling upwind). Look for a BIG one with a center fin option and/or a large rear fin to help you go upwind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: