myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Blog: Inbound short wave so Gorge goes from MILD to WILD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Blog: Inbound short wave so Gorge goes from MILD to WILD Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

The current heat producing upper ridge departs fast Wednesday night as a potent shortwave upper trough comes over us at ≈ 18,000 ft. And most signs suggest wild winds by Thursday.

But what the hell is a shortwave? And how can it make the current smoky listless winds begin to rage by Thursday.

This blog gives some answers in video animations.

http://blog.weatherflow.com/west-coast-wind-blog-dissection-of-how-the-gorge-wind-goes-from-mild-to-wild/

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com

WCWB4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  99.62 KB
 Viewed:  7410 Time(s)

WCWB4.jpg

AlexM

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Blog: Inbound short wave so Gorge goes from MILD to WILD Reply with quote

windfind wrote:

But what the hell is a shortwave?

After reading the post, I'm still not entirely sure. It seems to refer to the upper level trough that is approaching the NW at ~18,000 ft.. In that case, does "shortwave" therefore refer to any kind of loop in the upper level winds (i.e., either a northward "ridge" or a southward "trough")?

Another puzzle: "The air within this loop [which is identified as a trough] is cooler and at lower pressure than in an upper ridge." But if the air is cooler, doesn't that also mean denser - so wouldn't this air therefore produce higher pressure?

I'm afraid that my questions probably reveal the depth of my ignorance. Much as I love reading your posts, Windfind, it seems your explanations are a bit over my head - and perhaps likewise for other readers. Maybe you could point us toward resources that could help educate us about basic weather concepts so that we could better understand and appreciate your posts. In any case, keep them coming! Windsurfers everywhere and esp here in the Gorge owe you and your colleagues lots of thanks for raising the bar when it comes to weather guessing.
windfind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex.

Trying to explain some of these concepts in words and with my rudimentary graphic skills is very difficult since upper troughs etc are 3D events and constantly change both in time and space. So let me try again with more words and pictures .

The distinction between a LONG wave upper trough and a short wave upper trough is somewhat arbitrary. Typically there are about 3-7 LONG wave upper troughs winding around the earth in the N. hemisphere moving from west to east at ≈ 18,000 ft.. Mixed in with LONG wave upper troughs are especially sharp kinks in the upper level winds called short waves.

In the first image below you can see a short wave moving towards the west coast of the USA. You can also see an upper ridge and a long wave upper trough. Notice that the short wave is just a much sharper kink in the upper level winds compared to a long wave. These short waves move faster than long waves.

The atmosphere in the area within the loop of the upper ridge is relatively thicker in the vertical dimension so it exerts more pressure on the surface. You can see this with any barometer today in the Gorge. This air below the leading edge of the upper ridge is descending and it compresses as it reaches the surface resulting in compressional heating so the temps go up.

The atmosphere in the area within the loop of the upper upper trough is relatively thinner in the vertical dimension so it exerts less pressure on the surface. The air in the leading edge of the upper trough air is ascending which will deepen surface low pressure. If you live out in the Columbia Basin you will notice this happening Thursday if you have a barometer.

The second diagram below shows this process greatly simplified.

For more detail go to: http://www.atmo.arizona.edu/students/courselinks/fall12/atmo170a1s1/coming_up/week_3/lect9_upper_level_charts.html

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com

shortwaveLongWave.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  431.33 KB
 Viewed:  7344 Time(s)

shortwaveLongWave.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: