myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Paddle boarder dies in Columbia River
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shhhhhhhhhh. Very Happy
johnl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

merriam2 wrote:

From oregon.gov:
Boats less than 16 feet in length and all canoes, rafts and kayaks, shall carry one Type I, II or III wearable device of suitable size for each person on board.

So you are required to carry a pfd on your kayak no matter how small it is. You just haven't been caught yet. Same goes for SUPs.

The odd thing is that they're not required for kiteboards or windsurfers, not that I'm complaining about that.

Interesting. I had always thought it was over 10'. I never got caught cause I wear my PFD when Kayaking all the time. But good to know. I got it confused with the invasive species permit. I need one (but don't have one) for my slalom boat cause it is over 10' long.....
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to the fact he went down so quickly and mysteriously disappeared and then was eventually found in roughly the same area I'm wondering if he got snagged by a ghost net?
johnl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
Due to the fact he went down so quickly and mysteriously disappeared and then was eventually found in roughly the same area I'm wondering if he got snagged by a ghost net?

Definitely a good point. To be found in the same area that you left your rig a couple of days later seems very strange in an area with current.....
kmf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnL wrote..

"Definitely a good point. To be found in the same area that you left your rig a couple of days later seems very strange in an area with current....."

Along the Washington shore from tunnel 5 to Swell City there is an eddy current that runs back upriver for about a mile. It is quite strong, and many of us swell heads have ridden it back to the launch after being caught in a lull. So it is possible to drift in and out of the river current and back into the eddy, effectively keeping one in the same general area.

KMF
johnl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks KMF, good to know. Only sailed swell a few times and the wind wasn't that strong...
Swellgirl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sit there all the time to rest or adjust my gear. In fact I was right there Tues. afternoon. Didn't know about Andres then and wondered why the plane was flying so low. Kinda eerie now.

And speaking of safety, if anyone ends up in trouble downriver of Swell, get over to the Oregon side and you'll find an "Elevator" eddy that'll slowly take you back upriver to the lower Swell launch. Much easier than climbing up the rip rap and dealing with the traffic.
trudynlary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOOD RIVER, Ore. -- The body of a 20-year-old paddle boarder who went missing last Friday was pulled from Columbia River Wednesday.

Crews found paddle boarding gear floating in the Columbia River Aug. 21 belonging to Andres D. Pombo from Miami.

Earlier that afternoon, Pombo and his friends launched from Viento State Park with the intent of paddling to Hood River. Pombo intended to paddle towards the Washington shore, splitting up from his group, according to witness statements.

Police also recovered video from a camera that had been attached to Pombo's board, which indicated that he had fallen off on the western edge of the Swell City area.

His body was pulled from the river Wednesday morning.

Hood River County Sheriff's Office deputies pointed out the Columbia River current is stronger than it looks, and strong winds can make it much more dangerous.

http://www.katu.com/news/Missing-paddle-boarders-body-pulled-from-Columbia-River-andres-palumbo-323012431.html

There was a video camera attached to his board
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: