myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
South bay want to borrow/rent a windsurfer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeolian

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject: South bay want to borrow/rent a windsurfer Reply with quote

Hi, new here. Regular Shoreline, Mountain View sailor.

I'm looking to borrow a windsurfer for second week of September. I'll be up at Lake Shasta on a houseboat, and need something more exciting than fishing.

I usually sail at Shoreline, Mountain View. Comfortable on Techno 148, 293, and Madd 166 with 7.5 and 6.3 sails (could go bigger with the typical 15 mph). The usual winds are almost enough. Recent afternoons at 25 mph are uncomfortably exciting. Waterstart consistently when the wind's strong enough or I get a gust. Use the harness, not in the straps yet. Can't claim an honest full planing jibe, need to be a little faster getting power back. Owned an OBrien once but gave it to the kid next door.

I'm not picky, just want to borrow something fun to cruise/plane around on if it gets breezy/windy at Shasta. Maybe it's worth a Benjamin to you.
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject: New 1990 Mistral Malibu Pacifica GoodWill Reply with quote

Brand new 1990 vintage. Complete board, rig and carbon fiber centerboard. New in 1989 would have been over $1100. It's in brand new condition as in colors are vibrant. Used maybe once. Looking at it was like getting in a time machine. $300!!!
aeolian

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't want to risk scratching a brand new board...

Aside - are windsurfers like other gear? 25 years old = suitable for bonfire sacrifice to the weather gods?

Does Goodwilll do deals? What's a reasonable offer for a treasure like this? Which part (if any) fails purely due to age? It was fun 25 years ago, I bet it could still be fun.
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like it was stored in a vacuum chamber. The non-skid and a colors are vibrant. Most important it has that funny mast track extension included. I might buy it.

http://www.markt.de/bochum/sonstiges/windsurfboard+mistral+new+malibu/archRecId,7733893/archivexpose.htm
carl

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the boards you use at Shoreline would work at Shasta, it just needs to
Be uphall-able for you. If you don't have your own kit by now, There is lots of "end of season" discounts on boards and rigs now, maybe it's time to buy your own so you don't have to be constrained by renting and sailing at the same place. I also started a Shoreline but didn't get my water starts down until I started sailing windy spots like Coyote Point. There is also used equip on the "buy/sell" section of this website and On Craigslist or EBay
Good luck
BRIMAR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about either an ultracat 225 liters 12'5" or a Go 170 with 6.8 rig or 9.2 rig I'd need some collateral though
Finsail@yahoo.com
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suba-rude wrote:
It looks like it was stored in a vacuum chamber. The non-skid and a colors are vibrant. Most important it has that funny mast track extension included. I might buy it.

http://www.markt.de/bochum/sonstiges/windsurfboard+mistral+new+malibu/archRecId,7733893/archivexpose.htm

Wow, that was my first cool board. I used to drive around Malibu with it on top of my car trying to look cool and pick up chicks on the way to the beach. Embarassed
Waterat Pat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an old Pro-Tech race board that would work. Ridiculously light lots of float. You will smoke the guys on technos. You can have it for a benjamin along with a your choice of sails and even some old booms. Sorry no mast.
I will PM you with my contact info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: