myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wind shadows inside part of Carbrillo beach

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
funmike

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Wind shadows inside part of Carbrillo beach Reply with quote

The last two times I sail on the inside of Cabrillo iwindsurf showed it blowing 18-22 and I could barely stay on plane riding a 120 litter board and a 6.6 and the other time 135 litter board and a 7.5. Every time I would get in the foot straps the wind would die. I use to sail the inside all the time a few years back and never remember there being a problem with wind shadows. Any one have any thoughts.
gerritt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sail outside.
cbknap

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iWindsurf wind data for Cabrillo is laughably inaccurate. Either because of it's low-friction bearings or its position high on a post at the top of a jetty the sensor does not read the lulls. When the Kanaha wind sensor says 19 average I rig a 6.3 race sail. When the Cabrillo wind sensor says 19 average I need a 7.8 race sail.

Consider the green line (purported lull) on the Cabrillo graf as if it is the actual average and you'll be right on.

The only exception is when the wind is straight west, i.e. greater than 262 degrees, and then the data is much closer to correct.
funmike

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feed back
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This summer, the wind along our coast has been at a slightly different angle than other summers. This has affected many sites. Leo Carrillo has been a little too offshore, so the inside has also been light there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: