myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kiter hit by a car in San Francisco
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goodwind

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Kiter hit by a car in San Francisco Reply with quote

A kiteboarder suffered life-threatening injuries Friday afternoon when a blast of wind at San Francisco’s Ocean Beach caught his parachute-like kite as he was preparing to enter the water, blew him across the beach and tossed him on the Great Highway, where he was struck by a car, officials said.

Witnesses said the man’s kite was lifted up by a gust shortly before 3:15 p.m. as he stood on the shoreline preparing to enter the water. He suffered critical injuries when he was deposited forcefully onto the southbound lanes of the highway near Sloat Boulevard and was then hit by a vehicle, a San Francisco Police Department spokeswoman said.

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Blown-from-water-at-Ocean-Beach-kite-surfer-hit-6486048.php
churan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sooner we all realize we are watermen. Surf kite sail whatever. The sooner the hate will stop. A waterman was injured today. A human. Show some compassion.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so that's what happened to Cort Larned, remember that name from the old days. (from article in link, not a non sequitor)

Churan, agreed, hope this person is alright.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old (but still 6 years younger than I) ex-WSer now kiter was telling me how much easier kiting is on aging bodies, partly because on a kite you're always hooked in.
As though that's a plus.

Of course we're all sorry someone got hurt; that goes without saying, and nobody's "hating" anybody. But it's also important to stay aware that kites are still more dangerous than WSers, because we're asked almost daily by WSers and "civiians", "Do ya think I should try kitesailing?".
Epenrose

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comments were removed thankfully.

Last edited by Epenrose on Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
dvCali

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Kiter hit by a car in San Francisco Reply with quote

Very hard to believe that this person got dragged from the water all the way to the highway. It is a long way and there is a high wall between the beach and the highway. Who knows what really happened but it seems an unfortunate duplicate of the accident that happened at Crissy few days ago. I did not witness it but apparently a Kiter was in the parking lot and got lifted and dropped on the ground where he remained unconscious and was later taken to the hospital.

All accidents are different but judging by the behavior at Crissy many Kiters are still ignoring elementary safety rules. Ignoring right of way, doing stunts inside of Anita point, playing drag-by-the-kite on the beach (among beach goers), and routinely lifting the kite in the parking lot are just a few of the list.
It is very, very, unfortunate but it is not surprising that people do get injured or worse.
Goodwind

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

churan wrote:
The sooner we all realize we are watermen. Surf kite sail whatever. The sooner the hate will stop. A waterman was injured today. A human. Show some compassion.

Hate? Nobody hate anybody and wishing ill on anyone. My wife read the news, felt that kiting is too dangerous and glad our kids are not in it....so goes my comment. For windsurfing, you can't go fast without acquired some intermediate level skill. If you got overpowered, you most likely fell into a body of water. Kiting is inherently much more dangerous from the beginning. A kiter, with a couple weeks of lesson, could easily put him/her in yesterday's situation.
jpf18

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Kiter hit by a car in San Francisco Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:
Very hard to believe that this person got dragged from the water all the way to the highway. It is a long way and there is a high wall between the beach and the highway.

Happened down by the zoo a TV newsstaion reported. No (tm)O'Shaugnessey seawall and not much "runway" to the street, especially when it's on-side-on like Saturday.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High lights the danger of kiting in on shore winds. I've been playing around with a trainer kite, thinking about getting into it because it's the best option where I live. The worst accidents are always with on shore winds, people getting slammed into objects like rock walls, buildings, trees, cars etc.. and always when launching or recovering. What is needed is a hook with a two mode system, a setting with a quick release that will let loose under a certain tension and a normal sailing mode that won't release. When launching and recovering it could be on the hair trigger and then once underway the quick release would be turned off.
Mystic has a quick release where you pull a handle and the hook separates from the harness but when someone is getting bounced across the beach it's probably too hard to activate.
I do hope this poor soul survives this accident and my heart goes out to his GF and family.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do not perceive any hatred on this thread. was an entry removed?

the best of sailors have been hurt or killed by kiting.

alex caviglia was a very accomplished sailor. he was boosted into his own truck, died in a coma.

nevin sayer had his harness system break at the apex of a 30' jump. he landed, head first, into 18" of water with rocks at the bottom. peeled back his scalp....

kiting is dangerous. beginners get hurt, so do veterans. show offs get us all kicked out of venues. these are facts, not hate.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: