myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
new windsup from rrd
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outhaul

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: new windsup from rrd Reply with quote

Footstraps, no EVA on the rails = good.
No step tail and US Fin box=not so good.

http://www.robertoriccidesigns.com/equipment/shop/windsup-v1/
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need for step tail, because in SUP conditions, you're barely planing and hardly jumping.
If the winds exceed 15 mph, you're on your normal light wind wave gear for surf or your slalom board for flat water.
Step tail just causes more drag and needs more wind to plane.
Step tail is great for winds 14-20 mph, but normal light wind kit works for that wind better.
If you wanted a touring 10-20 mph wind windsurfer, get one with a dagger board.
outhaul

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Ziirtaeb...Have you tried the Exocet windsup 11'8 or 10' ? Awesome board that goes way beyond "barely planing" and the step-tail is a big reason why. It's a great windsurfing board in its own right without the SUP factor. Would love to see more boards like it.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live where there's wind, so no reason whatsoever for a SUP that windsurfs also.
When winds hit 19 in the gusts, average around 16, I"m planing on 95 liter slalom boards and 7 meter sails.
Anything less, and it's going to die or come up to 24 where I live.
eghoffman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it would be best suited for a lake - I don't see taking it out as a SUP or a windsurfer in the waves. Looks like kind of a boat to paddle and pretty big and wide to plane up with a sail.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outhaul, I agree. I had my Exocet WindSUP 10' today at a spot I have not been at in a while. People were staring at it, probably because of the large size.

The planing was very fast and very stable, a windsurfer that has seen me many times on my 130l step tail board actually said he never saw me go that fast. He was shocked at the speed of the board. I was impressed too.

I agree, foot strap options on a WindSUP are a step in the right direction, but it still probably will not hit the speed of the Exocet. I would also like to see more boards like the Exocet.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears to have significant tail rocker.
Goodwind

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with all the praises on the Exocet WindSUP 10'. If Exocet has a carbon version of WindSUP 10', I'll buy it tomorrow. Received my Bamboo WindSUP 10' last week. The board weighed in exactly 28.4lb and comes with DB, and a 44cm fin on (my preferred) power box. Been out three times, sailing from 5mph to 20+mph and absolutely loving it. Before I purchase this board, I demoed a KonaOne for about an hour. Based on my limited experience, without question, WindSUP 10' is more stable, planes earlier and jibes better than KonaOne.

If the Steptail causes more drag and needs more wind to plane, I can't tell. In fact, I felt the Exocet planes earlier and faster than my 21 lb carbon Angulo Gu'd 10'10" which is with similar outline and volume. I bought the Angulo last Sept and had fun with it for a few months during the lighter wind period in my area. But I felt the needs for foot strap and DB to maximize the fun factor. In higher wind range, foot strap is instrumental for fully planing jibes, and in lighter wind range, the DB lets me go way upwind for some board reach fun, and I've realized all these benefits the last few days. It is no fun getting wet in the winter and this board is so hard to fall off. I believe my new Exocet will keep me dry this fall and winter if I don't do too many crazy stuffs. Very Happy
outhaul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be two camps on windsups:

One being "why would you want to be a on a big pig like that? That's not windsurfing"

The other goes something like this:"Yes it's big but I've never had this much fun in 15-20 mph winds, I'm going nearly as fast as most others who are on much smaller boards, I can catch waves with ease, I can blast along on swell, I can paddle it (but rarely do), I can teach on it and did I mention I've never had so much fun?"

If you have the wind and skills to ride tiny boards well, that's really cool, truth be told I wish I could too.

However, for those of us who only possess modest skill sets and don't live in consistent high wind areas, the advent of performance windsups like the Exocets has been a game -changer.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

outhaul wrote:

The other goes something like this:"Yes it's big but I've never had this much fun in 15-20 mph winds, I'm going nearly as fast as most others who are on much smaller boards...

What do you mean, nearly as fast as most others ? My K1 goes as fast as most others, in fact, I'd say faster than the average when compared to the common mixture of FSW and freeride shortboards I see on the local spots. And maybe more than twice as fast when schlogging, but shortboarders seem to forget about that part...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: