myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sandy hook/Ideal beach next 3 days
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
craftadvisory

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Sandy hook/Ideal beach next 3 days Reply with quote

Anyone going to be out sailing these locations? Is anyone familiar with the launches? Do they get a lot of activity? Any info is much appreciated. I'm thinking of heading out there tomorrow.

Last edited by craftadvisory on Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
sundowner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
quigley

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next 3 days in NJ ? Allen Rd, Trixies, Laurel Blvd. With Laurel being the best !
bred2shred

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quigley wrote:
Next 3 days in NJ ? Allen Rd, Trixies, Laurel Blvd. With Laurel being the best !

Not sure I would necessarily call Laurel the best. Trixies and Laurel Blvd are more or less the same spot on the bay, so sailing conditions are essentially the same.

Trixies is a South facing launch into the Cedar creek and you have to sail out into the bay. Laurel Blvd is an East facing beach that basically puts you right into the bay. Laurel is a little easier launch most times because you get wind directly onto the beach. The downside is that if it's blowing NE or ENE at 30-40+, you're totally exposed which makes rigging more difficult. Your car will also likely get a nice salt water bath at Laurel in gale conditions.

Trixies offers some protection while rigging but can be a little trickier of a launch since the wind may be slightly offshore and you have to sail upwind to get out to the bay (but it really shouldn't be an issue for anyone capable of sailing in these conditions). If it really gets insane, you can also just sail in the creek. 40 knot NE winds, you will get rollers coming up the creek and 3-4 foot waves breaking on the beach.

sm
scargo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at Saturday, but we'll have to wait and see. I don't really have the right stuff for 40+. I sailed before Sandy in similar conditions, and things got pretty gnarly. It was a character-building experience, but I don't know how much fun I actually had. Although there is a certain satisfaction in being able to get in a few good runs, then pack it in before something breaks.
colorit

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I still lived in NJ I think my plan would be to head to Barnegat Light and sail the south side of the inlet. It's a long walk across the sand from where you park on 7th or 8th St and rig to the water, but we'd have the option of sailing behind the jetty if conditions were totally insane and just riding the reform waves, or if conditions were perfect riding the outside breaks. Best thing was that due to the jetty the beach to the south juts out down by 14th and provides a natural catch if you ended up without your gear.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna give Ideal Beach (aka Spy House) a go this morning (Friday) and possibly on Saturday if the wind isn't too crazy. Wind is looking an bit more manageable there today. The wind is typically a little less than what the Sandy Hook meter shows. NNE direction is side on-shore so if something happens you'll get blown back in. Biggest issue with Ideal Beach is not to sail near high tide during one of these big prolonged nor-easters with exceptionally high tides. There can be big pieces of lumber, logs, tree limbs, etc floating in the water when the tide is high enough to carry them back off the beach into the water. Just keep your eyes open and be aware.

Rob
scargo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how you make out. I used to sail Spy House a lot, loved it in these conditions. (As you predicted, it looks more manageable than farther south.)
rswabsin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailed from about 9:30 to 11:30 am. Wind was almost straight on-shore but you could work your way upwind and off shore into the cleaner swells and wind. Was a little underpowered on a 3.7 at first, then the wind filled in a bit more consistently. Nice big rolling swells that were very surfable and fun to jibe on. Heavy steady rain set in around 11:30 and seemed to suppress the wind a bit so I called it a day rather than rigging up. Plus I noticed all the logs that were on the beach when I started were now in the shore break. Probably give it a go again tomorrow morning.

If you haven't sailed here in a few years, its worth checking out. The Army Corps did an awesome job with beach replenishment. The beach is several hundred feet wider than it was before Sandy.

Rob
bred2shred

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rswabsin wrote:

If you haven't sailed here in a few years, its worth checking out.

Never sailed there. Where exactly is the launch?

sm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: