myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Stretching wet suit difficult to zip up
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like a straightforward case of the suit either being too small or not cut properly for your body. I've worn my share of wetsuits and also worked in a shop where we sold them. A back-zipper suit should have a light to moderate tension across the zipper as you zip it up (you don't want the material to be loose), but if it spreads apart several inches and/or you have to struggle to zip it up, then the suit is too small. Not only does this cause the suit to be difficult to put on and uncomfortable to wear, but you also run the risk of blowing out the zipper or one of the seams which means a day on the water lost.

If you really like the suit, then you could potentially send it out for alteration (Promotion & Bodyglove will do this and I'm sure others will as well). Otherwise, I would just get a new suit that fits properly. Definitely best to try the suit on before you buy if that's an option.

sm
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bred2shred wrote:
Definitely best to try the suit on before you buy if that's an option.

Last time I bought a neoprene drysuit I asked Promotion to ship me 2 or 3 sizes so I could compare their fits in my living room and return the "rejects". The winner was obvious, and the shipping costs were less than the cost of driving to and from their showroom. I've also dropped trou at swap meets and tried on suits there.

What else ya gonna do, as ill-fitting suits are a monstrous PITA and not all bodies fit chart norms OR personal preferences?
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that my (poorly maintained and overstuffed) wetsuit is much easier to zip if I kneel or sit on the ground while zipping up. Without trying to analyze mechanics that I cannot see, I will guess that this slackens the axial stretch and the shoulder blade span enough to de-tension the zipper and allow the slider to come up easily. Once zipped, the suit fits and works fine. Occasional application of zipper lube helps too.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when sailing not far from home - put it on at home where there is someone to give me a helping hand - my own personal hottie Smile
carl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The day before you use the suit, soak it it water then hang it up to dry inside-out. It will be slightly damp the next day but much more stretchable.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those who actually surf in cold winter conditions (snow and ice etc) soon learn what really works. For me, there are three essentials.

1) Thick 7mm neoprene suit with front zip and hood attached, made to measure for EXACT snug fit. (Over 2 below.)

2) Undersuit layouring of thick thermal Damart type vest, and sleeveless 3mm neoprene shorty.

3) Full covering of extremities. i.e. 3mm neoprene socks beneath 5mm neoprene boots, and full 3mm neoprene (smoothskin for grip) gloves.

The essential point is that you must be able to survive COMFORTABLY, a surf swim in through the impact zone, which could take quite some time.

My winter suits are made by a small diving company out of genuine diving 7mm neoprene to be an EXACT fit, but to windsurfing spec. (NOT a diving suit.)

As for upkeep, once in use I keep them wet (to avoid drying out) to maintain a proper close fit with no gaps allowing icy cold water pools inside.

Proof of the pudding as they say, since I've used this system all through each and every winter since the 1970's, and have suffered no physical ailments, apart from slight arthritis in finger joints. (Age related rather than cold abuse.) The suits generally last several years of winter use before eventually 'shrinking' and being too tight a fit. At least, U.V. degradation is never a problem for them, ( but windscreen wipers in snow showers would be a blessing!).
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please remind me to avoid swap meets in HoodRiver, bad visual of naked -ness trying on wetsuits.

Iceohbars. Broomstick thingy may indeed work, it would change the angle,
It does bring up some other attachments that may be troublesome in release.

I don't wash mine in a washer, I soak in a tub and hose off.

I use common clothes wash

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it's not such a bad thing Amigo, you're just using the wrong visual. ;*)

-Craig

U2U2U2 wrote:
Please remind me to avoid swap meets in HoodRiver, bad visual of naked -ness trying on wetsuits.

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm, got cha on that It could be entertaining.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
kellyericl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get zip together when your suit is whet. Click here to know more about writings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: