myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Catching the bug

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Catching the bug Reply with quote

My wife and I are fortunate enough to be heading to Bonaire in a few months. We are tagging along with my brother and his two kids who will be diving.

Any tips on getting her to catch the windsurf bug? She is willing to try it. My plan is to enroll her in a beginner lesson, but not push beyond that. She is 53, grew up sailing small boats, and is not really athletic but fit.

What are the chances of her catching the bug and how far could she progress in a week if she doesnt quit with a few hours a day?

Also, my 14 and 16 year old niece and nephew are willing to give it a go. Are their odds any better?
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they have enjoyed windsurf lessons. I've taught about 20 or so and maybe 6 stuck with the sport.

The key might be that the student really thinks windsurfing is cool and really wants to learn. I've been up front with saying that it's one of the tougher sports to learn, but! the pay back is years of fun on the water.

Just make it as much fun for your wife and kid as you can.. My wife has been around the sport with me for almost 30 yrs and she is happy to grab a 5 meter sail and put on a short wide board in no more than 5-10 and sort of just do a back and forth bobble. She will also put the same sail on my Equipe and go cruzing.... Don't think she has ever got a board planning. But she's happy.

Now, I started teaching my son 7 at the tim,e on 100litr custom board from the 80's and 2.2m sail and he fell in love with the sport. Just couldn't get him off the water. By 8 he was using the 5m, harness, in the straps and having a ball in 10-20 mph winds.

I hope your trip goes well and there are 3 new stoked windsurfers.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a big help to your goal that your are not teaching her yourself. Going to a warm shallow location is another big plus. leave it up to her but lessons everyday can be hard on one's body if your not in "WINDSURFING" shape.
Encourage her but don't push her. This sport is difficult to grasp for some.
That said, I have watch ABK camps at South Padre for years. When conditions are conducive to learning, some of them go from learning basics
to foot straps and planning in a week. Others never get past the basic. I was stupid and struggled for a year and learned the hard way. Of course in the early 80's that's how we all learned. I highly recommend lessons from a skilled instructor. Why go it the hard way. A warm beginner friendly environment is a must. A windsurfing family is a great way to enjoy you kids and wife. This sport will take you to cool places and you will meet lots of nice people. Enjoy the adventure that is windsurfing..
PS: keep in mind that a windsurfing family is highly demanding of your time on the water. After a short learning curve, I made mine learn manage their own gear.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first LESSON was an hour of the very basics, as I had never even seen a WSer before. Not only was if fun, but it hooked me then and there. The rest of that day -- 6 uninterrupted hours of trying to plane in 10-20 mph winds -- were even better. But then I was in over-the-top shape from hard core dirt biking several days per week, so I enjoyed the physical challenge. OTOH, I see dedicated WSers tire in just a couple of hours per day, so there's something else going on, too, in addition to acquired fitness.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frederick, since you have some time before you go, you might want to encourage your wife to exercise her upper body a bit to build strength and stamina. That way she will have some staying power, and she will be able to avoid the muscle soreness that affects anyone not suitably prepared. Paired up with professional lessons and the right equipment, she might be able to avoid falling in a lot and having to climb back up on the board. The latter effort really can tire you quickly and scuff you up. Also, given the fact that your wife understands basic sailing and presenting the sail to the wind, you just might find that she will have the finesse and balance to easily pull it off. Women often do better than men learning something like windsurfing, because they don't try to muscle everything around, and they can be smarter about maintaining their balance and poise. Lastly, let her set her own pace. Good luck and enjoy the trip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: