myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rrd boom head diameter
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gerritt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you said please... and with the caveat that I am not an engineer and have not conducted any scientific studies. My observations are anecdotal and come from 32 years of windsurfing experience.

It's fairly simple: Point Loading, which can occur on shore as well when one is not cognizant of aligning the boom head with the mast prior to closing the level and applying enough pressure (friction?) between the boom head and mast to keep it in place. Depending the the design of the boom head and the strength of the mast, this can occur more or less easily.

Combing the above with the myriad of variables in play while attempting the maneuver while out at sea (or river as the case may be), one can easily wind up closing the boom while not in line, thereby applying point loading in the process of jamming on the f***ing lever to get the damn thing closed while getting pushed about by the copy water. Keeping the outhaul tensioned before closing the boom lever increases the odds of misalignment and point loading. Even if you are riding negative outhaul sails, a sail down in the water will be loaded, and unloaded, and loaded again via the water's action.

Why are you even debating this? You said you took a swim yourself. I'm not sure a skinny mast is the cure all you seem to believe it is. I've seen a skinny go for what a sailor initially claimed was a JSA situation. Upon further inquiry, he admitted having just readjusted his boom in the water about 5 minutes prior to the mast failing. Said failure occurred at the mast boom connection point.

I can't say how likely it is. I learned the lesson the hard way many moons ago. Sounds like you did too. It's no fun. If you think the risk is worth the reward, then that is your choice. Others are free to decide for themselves. Denying the risk exists is silly.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
Socalsailor will be the first person to ever purposely install a Streamlined boom head on another brand boom.

Not sure why'd you say that. Streamlined made replacement boom heads years before they started making actual booms. There are a lot of junk boom heads out there on older and newer booms. Some notable people who have purposely installed Streamlined boom heads on other brands of booms include:

-Sailworks owner/designer Bruce Peterson (there was actually a Windsurfing Mag article on it)
-Simmer team captain Kai Katchadourian
-Windsport and Windsurfing Now gear editor Derek Rijff

This is a 10+ year old review for the original version of the Streamlined boom head by Bruce Peterson

http://streamlined.us/testimonials.html

WOW DAVE!

You've created a fantastic boom part. The engineering is brilliant and the craftsmanship exquisite. This is a major upgrade to a HPL boom. The improvement to rig control and handling is immediately apparent. The lateral boom deflection is greatly reduced. The boom to mast connection is really tight without excessive compression on the mast.

The retrofit took 15 minutes, 3/4 of which was removing the stock HPL boom head. My only comment for improvement at this stage is that the recesses in the casting for the nuts could be smaller (or the nut larger) so that the nut does not fall out when the cap screw is removed. There is enough space around the nut within the recess that the nut is almost free to turn. Minor point, but I did have to crawl around looking for a couple of the nuts after they fell out.

The webbing strap adjustment was a bit fiddley the first time, but it doesn't appear that it will have to be adjusted again now that it is set to the right length. Nice webbing by the way. Does the webbing have a rubberize coating to it?

I sailed yesterday for 3 hours with an 11.0 m2 sail, purposely over-powered in 20 plus wind conditions, to check out the stiffness of the boom to mast connection. The rig felt great. I switched off to a stock boom to compare the rig stiffness and handling. The difference isn't subtle. The stock boom head flexes enough that to affect rig control - I felt more overpowered on the stock HPL boom. Switching back to the boom with your head piece confirmed this. A stiff boom to mast connection improves rig control when over powered.

This is a great boom head Dave. Well done! By the way, by what name are you calling this part? Are you in production of these yet? Have you figured out a price yet? I would like to order 12 more boom heads to retrofit the rest of my booms and those of Dale Cook, my sail test partner. I'm not looking for freebies, I'll write you a check for them today.

Fair winds,

Bruce Peterson
Sailworks R+D

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gerritt wrote:
My observations are anecdotal and come from 32 years of windsurfing experience. ... Denying the risk exists is silly.

36 years here, most of it retired and chasing wind full time year 'round, with never any suspicion, hint or explanation of a problem associated with adjusting boom height offshore until yours, now. I also appreciate point loading concerns, but don't see how they impact this situation, especially with modern, well-designed, low-effort, low-slip boom clamps and even less so with thick-walled RDM masts.

I don't know which of us is right, but until I see, experience, or hear of a mast breakage associated with modern boom heads used properly, I 'm not concerned about it* ... just like I'll keep using hot tap water to clear my windshields after ice storms.

* I just won't do it with my Streamlined head.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: