myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
California costal windsurfing in December

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brettn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: California costal windsurfing in December Reply with quote

Is there such a thing? Decembers are slow for me. I might pack up the fam and do California in the 5th wheel. I figure it's a surf trip in December, but if anybody has any tips on where there might be wave sailing, even if it's on a sup/sail, I'd appreciate it.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearing winds after storms can be epic. Thing is, you need storms...
windward1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring the SUP-Sail, but also bring a paddle for it.

December is slow out here as well.....wind wise.

If a good storm, then hopefully good clearing winds for your smaller gear.

Everything is iffy that time of year.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfing during December can be epic. Wind not so much so. I would concentrate on those well known spots for great surfing. Sticking close to Rincon would be a good strategy for below Point Conception, and Santa Cruz would be a good choice for a more northern Californian strategy. If the winds come up, you're well poised at either of these locales.

For wind, don't forget the possibilities for Santa Ana Winds. They're usually not good for wave sailing, but still some lively sailing can be had at Port Hueneme on the coast, or well inland at Lake Mohave.
LeeD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warmest coast water temps ever, equals tons of S wind storms coming in Dec.
S winds, port tack out like Diamond Head, usually gusty winds, recommend a floaty wave board in the quiver. For 150 lbs. have a 90 liter board handy for the up and down days.
I've gotten as many as 12 days of wave sailing in Dec., rainy years, S winds, with a few clearing NW days, but not many, because the first few NW days can be really big surf, and nobody is ON his game in Dec.
My area would be from HMBay to Limantour, SF Bay area.
Don't really know Jalama to San Diego, but have sailed S winds at PB and Mission Beach, and one less than successful day at OceanBeach SanDiego.
Hear Cardiff, Swami's, Beacon's area can be sailable on S winds, if the winds are strong enough.
Home break being Ocean Beach SF, be prepared to go out at the first hint of S winds, because the swell is sure to jump over 8' once the S winds have settled in, just after the first rain, and 8' OBSF is nothing to take lightly, as it's shifty beach break and waves more powerful than anywhere else on the mainland.
Stinson and Limantour gives great S wind prestorm winds with little waves, 2-4' usually, but once the storm fully hits, can jump to 5-8', nothing safe unless you've had years of wave sailing experience.
Combined with a surf trip, bring semi guns to San Francisco, you can have a pretty good 3 days a week of going out in some wild conditions.
LeeD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likely, if it's truly a rainy El Nino year, there will be very few offshore wind days, so surfing is not going to be best this year.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On average over the last 30 years I've sailed once a week in December here in Malibu. County line is the spot and you'd better be confident in nuking large surf conditions, just in case. The other 6 days could be spent surfing.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I looked at Bu and Topanga, they were a total mess on S winds and rainy days, just ugly brown bump sailing.
NW clearing days are not prone to happen after every storm in early winter, but do come in the spring.
Gotta find a spot with somewhat side on winds during the rainy storm days, and then hope some NW clearing winds come afterwards.
SoCal faces mostly SSW, so it get's messy with rainy windy days.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD is right, south winds can screw with the surf on the south coast from Malibu to Santa Barbara, but that doesn't mean that good windsurfing can't be had. In fact, southerly winds can be very challenging and quite fun overall. However, getting off the beach can be tough, especially off a beach break where the shore pound can be very high frequency in nature. On the Santa Barbara/Gaviota coastline, I've found that Haskells and El Capitan can be a more sideshore port tack launch that helps getting off the beach. Also, IV can make launching a breeze, and the chance for some good surf sailing a possibility.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good sized crew of winter sailors in the SF Bay Area.
Any given S wind incoming storm, there will be 10 sailors out at Alameda, 10 at Berkeley, 10 at Half Moon Bay, a handful at Larkspur, and a handful looking at coastal sailing, all thru Dec. thru March.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: