myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
84L Board... Got stuck out in the water
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
Rig a big enough board so you don't have to swim.

That, for me, would be at least 125 liters. I've had zero interest in windsurf boards that big since at least 1990, and even that would still entail some swims now and then. Every day on the water requires some compromises; I choose to err on the side of adrenaline, including maneuverability. If my only criterion were avoiding swimming, I'd make the more obvious and more successful choice: a land sport.
westender

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso, you're a Hot Dog, you can ride the small boards. Don't tell me every day you're out you don't see people trying to defy the laws of physics.
westender

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The day after we watched Cribby and his disciples I decided to try the bigger board method, not that I didn't already know what would happen. My buddy and I always rig the same and are equally matched except for bio rhythms and planet alignments.

The wind was not so good but my buddy chose the usual Gorge style sinker and I went one size up. I absolutely annihilated him out of every gibe and hole.

In the Gorge I see so many people trying to ride boards they don't have the skills for. Not enough board to keep going or plane through a gibe. It's a pitiful sight.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
In the Gorge I see so many people trying to ride boards they don't have the skills for. Not enough board to keep going or plane through a gibe. It's a pitiful sight.

I agree, but then the best way to learn to ride sinkers is riding sinkers, there's MUCH more to WSing than jibing or gliding through holes, and not all sinkers (or venues) are the same.
ghost1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
westender wrote:
What was so special about his first ride on the 84L??

Let me guess: The Usual. Liveliness, maneuverability, jumping (if not yet ... soon), a lighter FEEL even if not apparent on a scale, a better ride and maybe more speed in rough water, an extension of his feet rather than a plank to stand on, and more. Since the day I first sailed a sinker a quarter century ago, I've VERY rarely sailed anything bigger (although that would change if I had access to waves in 15 mph winds).

Exactly right! All those points you mentioned that's exactly how I feel. Can't you see me smiling????

Thanks for the advice everyone. I guess from now on, when it's blowing hard enough I'll sink and swim.

planing2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.07 MB
 Viewed:  11547 Time(s)

planing2.jpg

Last edited by ghost1 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
Don't tell me every day you're out you don't see people trying to defy the laws of physics.

... or of physiology/neurology.
ghost1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two questions actually.

How possible is it to tack this board? I tried 4 times and almost made it once. I figure I'm really going to have to carve the board and FLY around the mast.

Also, I find this board is harder to get planing than my 125L, but once I am planing I find it just keeps going and going through the lulls. I was totally amazing at how long it kept planing, it would go another great distance compared to my 125L which would grind to a halt long before. Is that normal for a small board?
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on many hull shape factors, but with everything else proportionately equal, big glides better than small.

I've never felt a need to tack small boards; maybe it's a breaking wave thing. There are other ways to make great upwind progress without it, and no earthlings are planing through tacks on shortboards.
ghost1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

There are other ways to make great upwind progress without it, and no earthlings are planing through tacks on shortboards.

Slam gybe?
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"ve had my JPFSW84 for 5 years now, never even bothered to try tacking it.
What for? I never get downwind when I ride it, so never need to get upwind quickly. One of the best jibing boards ever, mine is a year older than yours, the precursor to the Magic Ride idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: