myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
new board update
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DelmarEdward

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:42 pm    Post subject: new board update Reply with quote

i thought i would update you guys regarding all the good information you gave me regarding a new board choice.

after much hemming and hawing i just purchased a bic techno 133, should be at the hub for pick-up wednesday or thursday.

first thing is i've been waterstarting a few times, both tacks, every time i go out as recommended. i don't think i've uphauled once since the fist recommendation to dial in the waterstart. i don't have to do it evey time i'm off the board due to some shallow areas, but i'm more competent and feel pretty comfortable relying on doing it.

my main issue with the GO 170 is the bouncyness with the 7.0 retro in winds say 18-25 mph. i'm thinking the bic 133 with a width at 70 cm, down from 85, will calm things down a bit. the 7 is too big for me anyway close to 25 so i bought a used 6.0 retro for that.

also i wanted to comment on something i've read about on the forum here, whether or not to go front foot first or back foot first into the straps. it seems that getting into the back strap first is easier especially when its gusty or choppy. even when it sinks the tail a bit it you're held in, can then get the front foot in and release the board by weighting the mast and front foot and then plane.

with the front foot first it is harder for me now to get the back foot in. maybe not after some more time on the water.

i also usually get into the harness first to help save my forearms.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: new board update Reply with quote

DelmarEdward wrote:
it seems that getting into the back strap first is easier especially when its gusty or choppy. even when it sinks the tail a bit it you're held in, can then get the front foot in and release the board by weighting the mast and front foot and then plane.

with the front foot first it is harder for me now to get the back foot in. maybe not after some more time on the water.

There's no hurry. Both techniques work, especially on big boards whose lower subplaning drag reduces the likelihood of getting yanked over the front end.

As for BFF sinking the tail, even slightly, even on tiny boards ... that's operator error, not BFF. Just because your back foot is in its strap, or even behind the back strap, doesn't mean the tail will inherently sink. It's WEIGHT ON THE TAIL, not foot location, that sinks tails even on a 55L board @ 180#. You say you're already hooked in, so hang some weight in the harness and put the rest on your FRONT foot on the board's midline. That's where it needs to be anyway if you're using it to hold the nose down, prevent rounding up, push the board forward, and help direct it laterally if necessary. Then as your speed increases and provides more hydrodynamic lift, you can a) ease your weight aft onto that back foot proportionally until planing or b)wait until you're planing THEN shift your weight back. (a) will usually get you planing sooner.
AndreiA

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: What is your weight? Reply with quote

When discussing board size it's always of use to mention your own weight... Otherwise, 6.0 could still be too much in 20 knots wind.
DelmarEdward

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iso- i'm sure it is operator error, while i can get into the straps now on a regular basis, it's still a little bit of a clunky process. i've been out in planable winds twice a week and should be able to do so tomorrow to work on it some more.

andrei- 200 pounds nekkid. i've used the 7 up to about 25 ( in the gusts), 20 or so constant. i was out last week in 32 mph gusts and could not sheet in, but i think my lines were too far forward and my arms were tired. the Go 170 was really flying, but held it down by really hanging in the harness and driving the through the fin. i spose i'd use the 6 in those conditions.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by joethewindsufa on Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:20 am; edited 2 times in total
windoggi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't waste your time with back foot first. I'll bet you could ask every sailor on iwindsurf and find only one who thinks its a good idea.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed with windoggie. BFF is a technique not seen much in florida. the technique most likely to frustrate early planing in light winds. terrible habit that leads lots in florida to quit the sport if they do not switch to FFF.

another not so great habit is hooking before having the FRONT FOOT in the strap. why? in gusty, choppy wind one realizes that one can get catapulted in this manner. one tends to behave more defensively. how? standing over the centerline more heavily, sheeted out, with tons of mast foot pressure. thus choking off the power of the sail AND the fin. seen it a zillion times by folks that insist on this glass ceiling.

exceptions about hooking are numerous. most common, prolonged schlog everyone has been there....

talked 20 + folks out of BFF over my 3 decades sailing in florida. seen 2 quit the sport that were too stubborn to try something different.

whew, gotta stop typing...

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an older guy who has been doing this a long time, I hook in first, then I go into the front strap when I can.

Sometimes I sail along just fine with only the front foot in the strap - especially in marginal conditions and going upwind. But, all things equal, I prefer to be in both straps.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are plenty of hook in first folks that concentrate so heavily on not getting catapulted that it takes a near hurricane compared to others to get planing. perhaps you have noticed? paid any attention to that kind of stuff?
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
there are plenty of hook in first folks that concentrate so heavily on not getting catapulted that it takes a near hurricane compared to others to get planing. perhaps you have noticed? paid any attention to that kind of stuff?

If I need to pump to get planing, I get out of the hook and pump.

But most of the time my sail is big enough to get me planing in a more passive way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: