myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Vacation Rental Ban in Hood River?!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
katosandog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBird wrote:
Quote:
I am relieved that I'm not standing in front of council pleading with them to protect my investment, as it appears many are

I think our City Council should be more concerned about its residents than freewheeling real-estate investors.

You would be laughing as hard as I am if you knew me and still considered me to be a "freewheeling real-estate investor". :>)

When I said investment I was referring not to speculation but to the very same thing you would as a homeowner. I could very well be a local who was counting on the ability to generate some extra income from STR to help pay for the house I am living in.
johnl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katosandog wrote:
TBird wrote:
Quote:
I am relieved that I'm not standing in front of council pleading with them to protect my investment, as it appears many are

I think our City Council should be more concerned about its residents than freewheeling real-estate investors.

You would be laughing as hard as I am if you knew me and still considered me to be a "freewheeling real-estate investor". :>)

When I said investment I was referring not to speculation but to the very same thing you would as a homeowner. I could very well be a local who was counting on the ability to generate some extra income from STR to help pay for the house I am living in.

I'm confused. How can you be a homeowner living in a house and need a STR? If you are referring to a second home then no sympathies. But if you are talking about renting out a room or a cottage on your property while you live there that is different than what we are talking about. Not trying to pry but not understanding......
katosandog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:

I'm confused. How can you be a homeowner living in a house and need a STR? If you are referring to a second home then no sympathies. But if you are talking about renting out a room or a cottage on your property while you live there that is different than what we are talking about. Not trying to pry but not understanding......

The homeowner we've rented from in summer the last three years is a perfect example. They bought the house about five years ago with the full intent of generating a bit of extra income while they were out of state for three months from the middle of June to the middle of September. It's a very nice house that they might not have considered buying without STR income. It's in the same condition as when they bought it - no outlandish renos or stainless steel appliances - it's a home. It's a great situation for them (and obviously for us).
starfish

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something seems wrong here kato. They leave every year from june to sept? The best months of the year.
I am suspicious by nature. Where do they go? Tucker park? It sounds like they rent out their house at str rates and smile all the way to the bank.
Hell I should rent out my house in the summer and live at work.
johnl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starfish wrote:
Something seems wrong here kato. They leave every year from june to sept? The best months of the year.
I am suspicious by nature. Where do they go? Tucker park? It sounds like they rent out their house at str rates and smile all the way to the bank.

Yep sounds that way to me. Why anybody would choose to live here Dec to Feb is beyond me especially if they are gone May to Sept....
katosandog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, unbelievably, there are people in town that don't windsurf, kite, paddle, or bike. I also find that amazing.

They found a situation that works and they earn some income from STR. They are local and have been for years. What would you like them to do - leave their house empty while they are out of town?
katosandog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starfish wrote:

Please let me know if you do. We will treat your place and your neighbors with respect.

Half joking.
johnl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

katosandog wrote:
Yes, unbelievably, there are people in town that don't windsurf, kite, paddle, or bike. I also find that amazing.

They found a situation that works and they earn some income from STR. They are local and have been for years. What would you like them to do - leave their house empty while they are out of town?

If they were my neighbor? Easy answer, yes. Just like we do when we go on our vacations....
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for my edification, what is the maximum length of a Short
Term Rental. And, if my place were rented out to friends without going through say a VRBO service, who are the Short Term Rental Police, and what's my punishment? (pillory in the town Walmart maybe)

-Craig
LaurentP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
Just for my edification, what is the maximum length of a Short
Term Rental. And, if my place were rented out to friends without going through say a VRBO service, who are the Short Term Rental Police, and what's my punishment? (pillory in the town Walmart maybe)

-Craig

A STR is defined as a rental of less than 30 days.
The city will be hiring a new employee in the planning department part of whose job will be enforcement of STR regulations. The planning department has been understaffed for years, so this employee was already needed.
Fines for violations of the STR regulations have not yet been determined.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: