myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
8.5 sail compared to 7.5 for light wind planing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brynkaufman2 wrote:
I have the Exocet WindSUP 10'.

http://www.exocet-original.com/wind-sup10.php

I agree based on the fins I am seeing and the recommended sail sizes. I was going to end up with too big sail for my fin.

Some late comments:

7.5 to 8.5 will make a difference at 160 pounds: extra surface is extra surface ... but not a huge difference. A 1.5 meter gap would be nicer, 9.0 is not that much bigger than 8.5. At 155 pounds I currently use 6.6 to 8.0, with the 8.0 being the biggest that works in the local conditions (we unfortunately do not have steady breezes in the 6-12 knots range, 99% of the time is either above 12 or below 6 ... ).

Fin: a 40 is too small for a 8.5 or 9.0 sail. I can use happily my 8.0 with a 40 Tectonic and Isonic 111 but it is at its limit.

Your limiting factor might be the board not the sail ... Something lighter than the exocet will plane earlier. I used to have a Mike's Lab course board (270 long 74 wide) weighting nothing and with great low wind planing. Used a 50 fin with 8.0 and I was hydrofoiling in tiny breezes (Biggest mistake ever to get rid of it).
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, some great information.

John, I also read your tip about setting the mast base in the aft position on James' blog when I was researching a larger fin.

Mine is in the center position, so I will definitely move it back for my next session.

Sailboarder, a 2 knot difference from the 40 cm to the 46 cm fin is exactly what I need. That is really encouraging, and like you mentioned, if I do end up going with a bigger sail, the larger fin would be good to pair with it.

I am going to try setting the mast track aft and a larger fin prior to buying a larger sail. If I can gain 2 knots with these changes I am good to go, without the cost and hassle of a larger sail.

I also watched David Ezzy rigging my sail and now understand that a 1 cm down haul difference is all that is needed to go from medium wind to light wind, and I read Peter Hart's post on all the techniques and tuning that go into light wind planing, so I hopefully have a solution.

I will update this thread again once I have my new fin and mast track aft and let you know how it worked out.

Thanks!
carl

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably go with the Ezzy 8.5 instead of the Sailworks 9.0.
Different brands measure the sails differently so one brand's 9.0 might compare to an 8.5 (or even 9.5) in another brand.
If you keep in the same brand and even model if you can,, at least you know that the 8.5 will be about a meter larger than a 7.5. (and IMHO a meter DOES make a difference in that size range)
As an example: I went with an Ezzy 9.5 to replace my old Naish 9.0 as my biggest. I rolled them out on top of each other and they were almost exactly the same size!
konajoe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
8.5 is much harder to pump efficiently

We've heard this before, mostly from owners of big sails explaining why they got beat by folks with smaller sails in light wind races. (It COULDN'T have been ability.)

Let's put this to rest. Instead of comparing a 7m to an 8m, make things easier to understand by comparing a 4m sail to an 8. Take 2 sailors on big boards in 10 knts. Tell each sailor to pump their sail 3 times. Which is 'easier' to pump 3 times? The 4, of course. Which one gets more benefit from the 3 pumps? The 8m. In fact, in that wind, it is possible to pump the 8 onto a plane, but not so with the 4m.

So, the 4m is EASIER to pump, but gets little results. The bigger 8m is EASIER to pump on to a plane.

So, some may suggest that you can pump longer with the 4m. Well, yes you can. In fact, you're going to have to. Because, when that guy on the 8 is sitting comfortably in his harness, the sailor on the 4 is going to have to be pumping his bee hind off to keep up with that 8.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sail efficiency and sailor weight ...

what if 200 pound person is pumping on an 8-oh
and 100 pound person is pumping on a 4-oh and smaller board

for me when winds are marginal, it is the lighter people with smaller equipment that seem to pass me ...
they manage to plane EARLIER (and sure skills can be part of it)

the best thing i did to improve early planing was lose 25 pounds
on same equipment had better results and can move around much better
unfortunately gained 15 pounds back
by next summer plan to do that again (lose the 15)
at 230 can plane in 17.5 with 8-oh (using james' calculator)
at 215 can plane in 16.4 knots with same sail
that's a one knot improvement with lots of benefits !!!
(obviously NOT everyone is overweight heavyweight like me )
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I bought a 50cm fin Maui Fin - looks like this one but last years model.

So far it was great. Luckily, the wind picked up gusting to almost 20 mph with my 7.5 Ezzy, and I still felt in control. Then the wind dropped to give me a taste of light wind sailing with the fin, the average was 9.8 mph, with gusts to 13 mph, and I was still planing and having a blast.

It is still to early to tell if my wind minimum has dropped. The 9.8 mph might be misleading because of the 13 mph gust to get me going.

However, this fin is faster and the board goes up wind faster. I can stay in control even in pretty strong winds for the 7.5 sail. It did feel like the front of the board was a bit higher out of the water, especially because I did move my mast track back. Turning with a 7.5 sail is not so fast to begin with, so I did not really notice a huge difference turning with this fin, although turning upwind was definitely easier.

I assume Exocet does not provide a fin like this as they have to account for various sailing styles and for SUPing, but if you like blasting and want light wind and upwind performance, I highly recommend it.

The only downside is this fin is sharp like a giant knife. I keep the cover on it in case the kids bump it when in the garage.

At this point I probably won't be using the stock fin again unless I find performance issues when it is blowing up to 30 mph.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's incredible is how much i really like the stock fin on any board that its size was appropriate for.

with the base all the way back, try the stock fin again.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I have been running with the stock fin with the base all the way back since you suggested it, and it was a great suggestion, thanks.

The stock fin on this board is awesome, so I don't want to give anyone the wrong idea. This board and the stock fin lowered my planing threshold by 2 mph. I was trying to see if I could lower it another 1 to 2 mph with a larger fin.

I still need more time on this fin to really tell, but my gut feeling is I am going faster in lighter wind and planing sooner, and the board remained controllable in higher winds.

To me this is a high performance board in most conditions, with the bonus of very light wind planing and wave riding. Thanks to the iWindsurf community for turning me on to this board, I am having a blast with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: