myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Xmas in Baja??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
airwave

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this post is about Baja. But a few comments made me wonder something.

We get wave sailing on the CA coast, the Oregon coast, and the Baja coast. We also get wave sailing on the Atlantic coast, especially from Waves south to Florida.
And in all those spots mere mortals get to mix it up in the waves.

We also know that there is wave sailing on Maui and Oahu. But there is also "flat water" there, as described for other places.

So really, of all of the mainlanders that go to those two islands for vacation what percentage actually get to experience Hookipa, Backyards, and DiamondHead waves verses going there to sail the "flat water"?
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't that depend on what your're looking for?
Every island has both flat water and wave sailing, and some mix's, so you can choose where you go for your fix.
I had slalom gear on Oahu, but also some custom dedicated wave boards, and used both most trips there.
Now going to Puerto Rico, again fast freeride and turny freeride gear for there, local beach flat water and outside non breaking but steep swells (that crumble similar to a small Phantoms, more wavy for NW and SE trips, and racing around for inside the reef San Juan stays.
scottwerden

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

airwave wrote:

So really, of all of the mainlanders that go to those two islands for vacation what percentage actually get to experience Hookipa, Backyards, and DiamondHead waves verses going there to sail the "flat water"?

I don't know what the percentages are but like zirtaeb said it is really a matter of what you want. You pick when and where to visit Maui based on what you want - summer sailing on the north shore, Ho'okipa included, is small, short period wind swell. Spring and Fall is good for wave sailing with healthy wind but if you don't feel comfortable in the waves, many people just sail Kihei which is pretty flat. If you are looking for big north swells and don't mind light winds, Ho'okipa is sailable a lot in the winter. If you need more wind for your comfort level there are other spots down the coast that are less well known but can still get pretty serious waves. Depends on what you want.
MrFish

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windfind wrote:
Quote:
Pretty typical to move the goalposts.

Hi Mr. Fish,

Uhh. The title of this entire thread is Xmas in Baja?? and my post about El Nino was addressing that winter time period not fall winds.

We are not even close to that Xmas goal post. So there was no need to move it.

Why not just enjoy the wind rather than calling someones thoughts stupid?

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
Weatheflow.com

Is it winter yet ?

Is it Xmas?

Has the wind quit?

Thought I'd check with an expert.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: