myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Vacation Rental Ban in Hood River?!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a-might-bit-goosty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought a home in town 6 months back. We stay for several weeks in summer and come for occasional weekends (which we've been doing for over a decade in rentals, until we finally saved up enough to buy). We'd like to retire in the home.
We otherwise rent it out. We don't make a profit or break even, but the income allows us to decrease the loss enough to keep it. And the renters are awfully appreciative of having a nice play to stay when they visit (as we were before buying).
Without STRs, we're screwed. We couldn't afford to keep it. We'd have to sell at a loss (plus transaction costs x 2). We also wouldn't be able to visit anymore since we have small kids and need a home to rent when we come for weeks at a time.
If the city council wants to screw us, I suppose they can.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondering, am I, just what percentage of homes which have STR are exactly like this, and what percentage are the evil empire kind of
wealthy speculators that just rent out STR year round and "ruin the market
for locals". I'd certainly like to know, since every owner I know who rents(and there are quite a few) seems to be of a similar ilk as Mr. Goosty here. He's just guilty of being clever enough to make his families life a
little more enriched (personally, I think the world and Hood River need more people like this).

Seems like the town council is about to shoot itself and a lot of
the ecoonomy base in the foot to me.

-Craig

p.s. I really dig your forum name Mr. Goosty.

a-might-bit-goosty wrote:
We bought a home in town 6 months back. We stay for several weeks in summer and come for occasional weekends (which we've been doing for over a decade in rentals, until we finally saved up enough to buy). We'd like to retire in the home.
We otherwise rent it out. We don't make a profit or break even, but the income allows us to decrease the loss enough to keep it. And the renters are awfully appreciative of having a nice play to stay when they visit (as we were before buying).
Without STRs, we're screwed. We couldn't afford to keep it. We'd have to sell at a loss (plus transaction costs x 2). We also wouldn't be able to visit anymore since we have small kids and need a home to rent when we come for weeks at a time.
If the city council wants to screw us, I suppose they can.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Princeville there is one newer town home complex that has in it's by laws regulations that do not permit "vacation renting", No renting for less than 30 days is the wording. I talked with one owner who is flaunting this. What he does is have the guests sign a 30 day lease and it's their business when they leave after a week or 10 days HAHA!
scottwerden

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live mostly on Maui (the rest of the time in the gorge) and short term renting is a huge issue here on Maui. The demand is very high and there is a lot of money to be made year-around, not just for a few summer months. But there has been a lot of complaints from neighborhoods who have to put up with the rentals. Plus the STRs compete with hotels and hotel tax is a huge source of revenue for Hawaii.

So Maui County has put in place a system in which there are a fixed number of STR permits they will issue for each neighborhood, basically to keep the density down and the locations spread out a bit. A home owner must notify all his neighbors and post a sign on the property of the application. Neighbors can voice their objection at a hearing. The owner must pay an occupancy tax (same as what hotels pay) plus an excise tax, so it a source of hefty revenue for the county.

The county monitors Craigslist, VRBO, and other sources to find non-compliant owners. If a non-compliant rental is found, the person must pay back taxes + penalties + is barred from applying for 1 year. If a renter is found to be in a non-compliant house they are kicked out, so there is a strong motive for renters to make sure the rental is licensed.

It is a little harsh but I think it is fair to everyone.
EricaKevin1

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Vacation Rental Reply with quote

Vacation rental diligence over the historical,evenhanded to review them completely. My confidence is to motivate conversation and consideration. https://comfortcabinrental.wordpress.com/2016/05/17/blue-ridge-cabin-rental-makes-a-vacation-more-enjoyable/
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A potential solution for affordable "work force" housing is a land trust system of some properties in which the land portion remains owned by the land trust while the building portion is purchased by a qualified "work force" owner such as a city employee. Lincoln City OR has a land trust system like that. When the work force owner sells the buyer must also be a qualified "work force" employee. The seller gets any profit on the building portion while the land remains in the land trust. The Lincoln City system might have started with a land donation from someone. A land trust system will only cover part of the affordability problem for work force employees.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: