myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
iWindsurf classified scam alert
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtnview

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: iWindsurf classified scam alert Reply with quote

Posted a board for sale on iWindsurf classifieds a week ago and got the email replies below. If you're selling on the classifieds, beware, this dude is a Nigerian scammer. I sent him a response to tease him out and you can see he's clearly phishing. Tip-offs include the name of the board in parens, the random capitalization, and no knowledge of windsurfing. Found him here:

http://www.yourittoday.com/scammer_profile_data/profile_data36/571303.html

jim Bruett (jbruett009@gmail.com) writes:

Hello,I am Interested in Buying your (2011 Thommen CrossX) if Still available,let me know as soon as possible.And kindly let me know what its present condition is and possibly some pictures and your final asking price.

Hello Dave,
I'm impressed with your detailed response and ok with the price of the Thommen CrossX for $500.00...I'll make arrangements for a Cashiers Check to be sent to you from my client who's owing me for payment and Concerning the Shipping,I have a shipper who will be coming for the Pickup as soon as the Check has cleared your bank.

Here are the information needed from you to mail the payment out:

{1} FULL-NAME : ..............

{2} ADDRESS : ...........

{3} MOBILE NUMBER: .......

Regards....
dmount

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been meaning to write on this topic as well as I also have a board posted for sale on iwindsurf classifieds. This is the second time in less than a week that I have gotten a response from a scammer.

I also got a inquiry from jbruett009 yesterday on a board I have for sale in the iwindsurf classifieds. To jbruett009m I supplied the information on the board he requested, but I also added in no uncertain terms that I consider an item paid only when PayPal clears the funds, or payment is in cash. I had a hunch that if this guy was a scammer, then I wouldn't hear from him again. And I didn't.

This came on the heels of a response from another guy last week named Robin John (interesting name if you think about it. He should just use "Robbing John" instead of "Robin John.") He wanted to buy the board for his brother as a surprise. I thought it was odd that he didn't ask any questions about the board, but he claimed to be a marine engineer at sea off Texas. It was a gift after all.

Over a couple of days he presented the bait:

" I have made the payments and PayPal emailed me confirming check your PayPal email address for the PayPal confirmation email,PayPal said that they holding the money I sent because of the excess payment that I made which was the money for pick up Agent, I will need you to send the $350 to my pick up agent so that they can be able to book a pick up time with you in time and PayPal will put the money through and you are credited with $1,400 do send the $350 through Western union money transfer,you can find a western union agent in almost around you or you can do it online too,I added $50 to cover the western union charges to send the $350 after you have send the money get back to me with the western union details, the mtcn number which you will be given by western union after you have sent the money as well as the sender's name and address or you can email it to PayPal directly."

I caught on to his game after that email, and then rescinded the invoice.

Afterward he sent what looked like two emails originating from PayPal (i.e., from Servicesapprovedataccountant.com). The emails indicated that payment has been made, but they were as genuine as a three dollar bill.

So here are the lessons learned:

Always verify transactions in PayPal by logging into your PayPal account. Paypal is quite upfront that it can take up to 21 days to clear a payment.

Use your delete key anytime someone asks you to front money to close the deal. It appears the scammer cons not on the item being sold (too obvious), but on getting you (the seller) to prepay the shipping and handling charges to a third party.

Do not rely on emails purporting to come from PayPal. Go into your account and verify the transaction. Better yet, contact PayPal directly and ask them to verify large deposits.

Do a search on the buyer if you can. A scammer probably uses dozens of online identities. I did a quick google search on the buyer's pick up agent. Google showed that he pled guilty to embezzling from a non-profit a couple of years ago.

Restrict the information that you give about yourself to anyone online.

Hope this helps. And be careful out there.

Last edited by dmount on Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
leogia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing I also got a response to my ad from Jim today.

Leo
streetsailing

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been getting these emails for years. In fact my first encounter with this was way before Paypal and the wording to the email has not change since then.

Whenever you see words like "kindly" and "your latest price", it's a red flag and probably this typical scam. Windsurfers in the US at least don't use "kindly" in there texts and if you want to know my latest price, it's on my ad idiots.

With that said, I did grab the bate that first time it happened almost 10 yrs ago.. Long story short, I received a check from the buyer for 10 times what I wanted and went to a bank to cash it. Luckily the bank noticed it was a fake check and that was that.

if you look for those 2 key words and phrases, you'll almost know every time that it's a scam. Feel free to respond to them if you want to have some fun with them.
Sail On
J
jroberts

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a recurring theme and seems especially problematic on iWindsurf classified. It has gotten to the point where I don't even want to post my gear for sale on this site. I have a bunch of *good* stuff to unload at cheap prices, but it looks like I need to wait for the swaps. Too bad, really. New and intermediate sailors should be able to to clean up with all the bay area and gorge gear.

Jeff
loopless

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have pretty good luck with the classifieds. I would say the ratio is 3 to 1 of 'real people' to 'scammers'. The scammers are easy to pick. I google search the email they are using as they often use the same e-mail for all sorts of scams.
akrausz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I've learned over the years...

These people aren't anywhere near you or your region (so this post should be in the General Discussion forum). They're in another country, speak broken English, know nothing about windsurfing and they send out hundreds or more of these generic responses using copy/paste. A common scam is to (intentionally, accidentally or whatever) send you a check or money order for more than the amount.

No need to be afraid to use the internet to sell stuff, just expect that you will get these and treat them like junk mail. Don't waste your time getting emotional...just delete it.

Never use YOUR bank account to cash anything. Surprisingly, I learned there is no such thing as your bank clearing anything. If your bank figures out it's fake next month or next year...guess who's account it's coming out of.

USPS Money Orders can be safe, but only if you take them to the Post Office to be cashed.

PayPal is safe...they process zillions of transactions all over the world. Their business is designed for this type of transaction...not your bank. Once the money hits your PayPal account, just transfer it to your bank.

Again and mostly importantly if you're simply prepared to expect scammers, common sense will spot their lingo/gibberish immediately.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not use PayPal. Despite their admitting they owed me money, they refused to hand it over via any method. Their excuse? "Well, you'll just buy something, and then you'll owe US. So just sit tight and it will all balance out."

"But I don't use PP, so it will NOT balance out."

After a year and several rounds of emails and letters like that, they finally admitted their policy of "making sure" claimants really want their money and sent me my money ... with no interest, of course. I am certain that at least 90% of customers in my shoes would not have persisted over a measly $100. I was pissed, and smart businesses don't piss off persistent retired people with a LONG history of winning battles with arrogant businesses (or federal governments) of ANY size.

So PayPal is on my $#!+ list.
Along with eBay.
And Pontiac Motors. (Got the last laugh there, didn't we?)
And VISA, but at least they paid principal + three years' interest once I rubbed their lawyers' noses in federal law.
The other 26 or so caved and paid sooner.

My point: we must all educate ourselves in consumer protection issues, awareness, and procedures. I'm amazed that ANYONE has ANY doubts about this scam; it's as common as dirt and as obvious as a clear sky in Seattle. Yet despite my familiarity with the problem, I had never heard nor thought of "Never use YOUR bank account to cash anything". That's smart if there's any possibility of a scam involving a check, if in fact some cancellation marks could reveal any information about your account.
akrausz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you link your bank account, PayPal works great. The minute your money hits your PayPal account, you just login and transfer the funds to your bank.

And as a buyer they work for you if the item isn't as advertised, and the seller doesn't want to give you a refund. Link your AMEX to PayPal, and get double the purchase protection for free. Or use "Friends and Family" and PayPal doesn't charge anything.
VinceSF

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jroberts wrote:
This is a recurring theme and seems especially problematic on iWindsurf classified. It has gotten to the point where I don't even want to post my gear for sale on this site. I have a bunch of *good* stuff to unload at cheap prices, but it looks like I need to wait for the swaps. Jeff

Jeff, You can unload this gear on this site:
https://www.surferslist.com/

Iwindsurf has not updated its site in a million year, for the simple reason it is not a revenue maker.
I hope we all move to the other site for gear selling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: