myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Women favorite windsurfing rig?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtm81 wrote:
BigRed100,

My wife is still not efficient with her waterstart skills. This means she can spend 10 mn trying waterstart.
When she can no longer waterstart, she climbs on the board and uphaul.

That's when she is complaining about the rig being too heavy and also on her way back to the beach, she is so exhausted that she finds the rig heavy.

Maybe I am misleading everybody (including myself) on the rig requirements. Maybe she just needs more time in the water to practice her waterstart? I don't know.

If she has had ANY waterstart training but takes 10 minutes to waterstart, she needs to use a bigger sail. We just PUSH the sail up high and let IT do all the work while we concentrate on keeping the nose pointed off the wind a bit.

Similarly, when returning to the beach, the board, not the sailor, holds the sail up; we just stand near it and steer.

I've got to ask: How often does she lift weights -- heavy weights which allow only 8-10 reps -- in the gym?

Mike \m/
vtm81

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars,

She is an intermediate so I have been told that small rig/big board is a better combo at that level.
She does not lift weigh but do lap swim.

Swchandler,
Sometimes she has a good day = easy time waterstarting, then she comes back with a big grin.
Other times, she can get discouraged....but she has not quit yet so shhhhh..=)
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife loves the two North sails she has, a 6.2 Natural and a 5.0 Ice. She has no problems holding the 6.2 in 30 mph gusts, or planing on the 5.0 in 20 mph. She does have a lot of upper body strength for a woman, but does not need it for these sails (she never has blisters or sore arms, even after long sessions).
One thing that's great about the North sails are the visual guides for trimming and harness line positions. Makes rigging a lot easier for someone with little practice.

Regarding the waterstart: I have seen this being a confidence issue. Guys usually claim they can do a waterstart after doing the first one; I've seen several women, my wife included, do many waterstarts and still say "I can't do a waterstart". What solved the problem for my wife was one day of ABK camp where her group practiced waterstarts for several hours. She learned the few things she had trouble with, and now finds waterstarts easy; she usually jumps into the water instead of uphauling if the wind is strong enough. If you can't find an ABK camp that she can attend, see if you can find other good instruction for her (not by you).

As for the mast, I prefer RDM because it's so much easier to hold in tacks etc. A thing to consider here is her hand size - her hands are probably quite a bit smaller then yours. RDM masts can be a lot easier to hold with smaller hands than SDM masts. Very important if your wife uphauls or tacks a lot (unless she tacks boom-to-boom). For a little extra flotation, we always use foam boom bras, even if the boom can't hit the board.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When someone comes in my store with a problem like waterstarts or too heavy a rig and wants to know the best sail to buy to help with the problem, I always say "lessons or a video"
gwenrider1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, girls. What can you say about this site with discount coupons http://www.sammydress-coupon.com/coupon-categories/rosewholesale-coupons/ ? Have anybody tried to use these codes already? I need some real experience, please Crying or Very sad
LeeD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends what you mean by "intermediate".
4.8-5.0 is good for winds around 15-22mph, planning on a 80 liter board.
If she's not there yet, same winds, go smaller.
If she sails in less wind only, the size is OK, but a little big.
There is no such thing as a "perfect" rig for her anymore than there is one for you.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtm81 wrote:
She is an intermediate so I have been told that small rig/big board is a better combo at that level.

"Intermediate" is just a word, and so is "small". But if she knows how to waterstart but can't, she needs more square meters. When people say "use a small sail", they mean "Don't learn with a sail so big it launches you over the board" or "Slow the process down a bit", not "Make it unnecessarily frustrating".

The time -- if there is one -- for deliberately choosing too small a sail to waterstart easily is when we're out there specifically to practice underpowered waterstarts. Otherwise, we get plenty of practice in that in the lulls.

Besides, waterstarting shouldn't require weightlifting. The breeze lifts the sail, so no military press or tricep extensions are needed. And we don't pull down on it, so no lat pulldowns or bicep curls are necessary. Instead, we straighten/extend our arms to the max to LET the wind lift the sail as high as we can reach, and let IT use our arms as hoist cables to take us with it ... almost no muscles other than forearm gripping muscles need be involved. i.e, we should be pushing gently, not doing pullups. It's about skills, not brute force.

I hope those lap swims include frequent flat-out sprints; they're vital to our health and to catching a runaway board and rig.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gwenrider1 wrote:
Hello, girls. What can you say about this site with discount coupons http://www.sammydress-coupon.com/coupon-categories/rosewholesale-coupons/ ? Have anybody tried to use these codes already? I need some real experience, please Crying or Very sad

Just like the OBVIOUS classified ad scammers being discussed in another thread, I hope people realize Gwen is a total scammer. I wouldn't touch her numerous URLs with a ten-foot mouse.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one that feels grabbing the mast when jibing and to a lesser extent tacking is a bad habit? I have some pads on the mast/boom nose that prevent this.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAD habit? No, it works fine. But it is more cumbersome than grabbing the boom instead of the mast during the jibe, which in turn is more cumbersome than not touching ANYthing when jibing the sail. After 25 years of Throw, Throw, Grab, and Go, I find messing with the rig at all while it flips to be cumbersome and slow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: