myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wetsuits: Please advise!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gimenezj

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2000 12:05 pm    Post subject: Wetsuits: Please advise! Reply with quote

Ive just got started on this great sport of windsurfing (why didnt I start 20 years ago..?), and I am in the process of buying everything. Therefore, instead of getting 3 or 4 different wet suits (warmups, springsuit, wintersuits, etc.), I was hoping that any of you would advise me on which type I should go for first.

For example, if I get a Springsuit (i.e., arms and legs exposed), would that mean that I need another full suit for late in the fall (I am in Pennsylvania)? Should I get a two-piece wetsuit to be more usable under different conditions? ...or a one-piece is better and I just need 2 suits (winter and spring)?

Finally, some technical notes in the web recommend to buy the wetsuits made for windsurfing NOT for other applications. What are the differences? Which brand or make?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to elaborate on this subject.

Juan Gimenez
fromIndy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2000 9:22 pm    Post subject: RE: Wetsuits: Please advise! Reply with quote

I use two wetsuits,a shorty (springsuit)I got at a local sporting goods store,it was on sale but has been a great suit for cooler weather.A shorty can take you usually into late september or early october.Once it starts really cooling off I go to a full windsurfing onepiece wetsuit.I use a Bare force 4/3 that I purchased at http:// the_house.com
I also use a lycra solarguard,they help keep the chill away when you dont need your suit yet and you can also wear it under your suit.Get a windsurfing wetsuit, they are designed for our sport.I think they give us more freedom of movement where we need it.I recommend some boots and gloves for the fall.Where in Pennsylvania do you sail?
marcsherman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2000 5:00 pm    Post subject: RE: Wetsuits: Please advise! Reply with quote

As far as windsurfing wetsuits go, there is a little more to it than just ease of movement. A windsurfing wetsuit usually has more smooth rubber/neoprene material and less of the stretchy spongy stuff that a surfing wetsuits have. This is important because the spongy stuff absorbs the water and holds it next to your skin. Though not a problem for surfing, You do not want this when you are standing on a board in 20 mile an hour winds. You look good on the beach, but freeze your buns off on the board.
By the way, the guys selling the surfing wetsuits dont seem to know this, and will assure you that its a great suit/buy.
Cheers,
Marc
gimenezj

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2000 12:18 pm    Post subject: RE: Wetsuits: Please advise! Reply with quote

thanks much for the tips...! (although I couldnt find http:// the_house.com in the web....and Im not sure what I am missing in the address)

By the way, I am going to Lakes Galena and Nockamikson, both just in the neighborhood...so I guess I feel blessed having close by good places for beginners. Are you near by...?

Juan
gimenezj

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2000 12:22 pm    Post subject: RE: Wetsuits: Please advise! Reply with quote

Thanks Marc for explaining the differences between the types of wetsuits. The thing is... which are the brands and where you get them? Juan
fromIndy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2000 10:03 pm    Post subject: RE: Wetsuits: Please advise! Reply with quote

Sorry it should have been http://the-house.com
another website to check out is http:// water-play.com That is just two of many suppliers out there.No I not near by I just like to hear about other sailing areas,I live in Indianapolis,In.I have only sailed the local reservoir but plan to make the three hour drive to lake Michigan this fall.
Allen
marcsherman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2000 4:36 pm    Post subject: RE: Wetsuits: Please advise! Reply with quote

I like neil pryde and oneil. I have also heard that Gul makes a decent wetsuit.
Look on the mfrs website to find a local dealer, and you definitely want to try it on (especially full wetsuits)before you buy. The size charts just dont work.
Marc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: