myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
in this time of compassion and forgiveness
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: in this time of compassion and forgiveness Reply with quote

...and not knowing the exact situation, I don't know what I should hope.
Shocked
cachaocachao

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very true. But it is not only in this time. It should be all the time, but especially during this cold weather.

<MODERATED ... Keep it clean guys. Not threatening one another.>

Last edited by cachaocachao on Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've known many temporary or even year-round homeless WSers and/or skiers/boarders. They were common in the Gorge in the '80s and '90s and many are still in that mode, moving with the seasons but living in vans, pickups with shells, etc. for whole seasons so they can move with the snow or wind on a day-by-day, often hour-by-hour, basis. Does the name Dana Miller ring a bell? Hell, I was effectively one of them, living in a van 24/7 from Florence to Port Kelley for 3-6 months each year before moving to the Gorge area. I HAD a home a thousand miles away, but you couldn't tell it by my lifestyle here for a dozen years. Nothing snags more play time than being fully mobile and taking advantage of it. Some places don't even require a tent much of the year. And maybe that nice van snuggled up to his tent is his, paid for by work requiring the safety vest beside his tent.

It may come as a shock to some people, but some of us prefer play to work, adrenaline to bile, independence to servitude, flexibility to rigidity, reality to BS, mobility to roots, sleeping in the wind under the stars to sleeping in a GD hotel or even in a house, board meetings to bored meetings, and most of all not HAVING to pack up and move just because it's supper time and our motel and meals are in some danged tourist town an hour or three away.

I don't EVER remember hearing a homeless windsurfer whining about his OR HER lot. They're having too much fun and are usually too tired to miss a structure or the baggage that goes with it.

Last edited by isobars on Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
gerritt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a lifestyle choice. Don't judge.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
maybe that nice van snuggled up to his tent is his, paid for by work requiring the safety vest beside his tent.

Upon closer inspection, that "van" is a sedan, further explaining why he'd be sleeping in a tent. What puzzles me most, though, is the apparent location: IOWA (that's the home of the business phone number on the semi behind the fence). Who'd bother living and WSing in a car down by the river in Strawberry Point, IOWA?
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I see is two vehicles that are both in pretty good condition, not knowing which belongs to the guy, tent, good condition, WS gear, good condition, homeless, doubtful but maybe temporary.
I'm thinking it's some dude that got kicked out by his wife that was always complaining that he cares more about WS'ing than he does about her.
"And take your damn toys with you!!!!!!"
That's what I see.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camping out in rural areas and parks is one thing but being homeless in a big city is quite another. That's pretty tough and dangerous, lots of bad characters around.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
lots of bad characters around.

In Strawberry Point, IOWA?

Yeah, them dairy farmers with their pitchforks and barn shovels is some SCARY stuff!

Oh, I'm just havin' some fun with Iowa, where my parents were born and raised, where I've spent 20 entire Christmas vacations and too many HOT summer vacations, and where most of my wife's extended family still live. The only scary folks I ever met there were Yankees and Democrats, and I was and am kin to most of them. Razz
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously doubt that the photo was shot in Iowa. The tree looks like some kind of Eucalyptus, and there's no way that a Eucalyptus can survive in Iowa.

Taking a wild guess, I'm thinking that the photo was shot somewhere in the SF Bay area. Lots of elevated roadways in places, particularly around freeways.
windoggi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like SF for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: