myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
pain in lower back - harness or stance issue?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tramontana00

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more vote for seat harness. You have to try to know if it works for you.

Waist harness kills my back in 10 minutes.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to say thank you for this post and the answers!

I switched to a waist harness and yesterday on a long run in the same direction, I had to stop because my lower back hurt. I just thought maybe my back is bad or I am standing wrong, but now I realize I need to use a seat harness again.

I am stoked to do a long run in the same direction with no back pain. As I researched it more, I realized for the type of sailing I do, a seat would be my best bet. Maybe my top speed and wind minimum will change with it too.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OTOH, what kind of condition are your core and back muscles in? That probably has a lot to do with harness style and tolerance and back pain in general.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars, that could be part of the issue too. But from what I read people like a seat harness for long cruises where the water is not too choppy. I love long cruising, so I think it makes more sense for me. I also read a lot of testimonials where it eliminated the back pain.

I will update once I get my new seat harness and see if that eliminates the back pain. I really hope so. It is hard to focus on maximizing speed when you back is aching. Sometimes I have to stop and head the other way because of the pain, which eliminates the long runs I like so much.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first harness in 1986 was a chest harness, but I found that it really worked my lower back, which resulted in a lot of discomfort later after the session. When seat harnesses came out not long afterward, I willingly made the change. All my back problems immediately evaporated.

Since then, I have stuck with a seat harness and ignored the calls to switch to a waist harness. Frankly, waist harnesses are a lot more money, and the need to switch just didn't make any sense. While it could be that a waist harness wouldn't be a problem for me, I think why switch from something that works perfectly? I'm certainly not going to switch from a seat harness because the coolness quotient presently points to a waist harness being the stylish way to go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: