myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
US Windsurfing Nationals May 11-14
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amarie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:50 pm    Post subject: US Windsurfing Nationals May 11-14 Reply with quote

Nationals will be held in Corpus Christi, Texas this year. The organizers are offering a ton of divisions and a schedule to accomodate people entering more than one division to maximize time on the water. There should be some great competition, but there are also "B" divisions and a freeride gear division if you just want to come try out a beautiful venue and enjoy the course with no pressure. Registration is now open:

http://www.uswindsurfingnationals.com/
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, just curious if there will be Kona "charter" boards and rigs there.

Or maybe "that" is still being discussed. Anyway, just wondering if it's a possibility or not. And when will it be decided... if the decision hasn't been made yet?
Thanks, Greg Smile

amarie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit to say, refer to the response below Smile. Thanks!

Last edited by amarie on Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it would be tough to ship a longboard on a plane... But easy to drive them on a car!!
Anyway it's great, that you'll have both Raceboard class and Kona class, there at National's.

If I hear any other confirmed news on Kona One Design "charter equipment" for rent... I'll post back.

BTW - Are any iWindsurf folks planning on sailing Raceboard class or Kona class at Corpus Christi for this big event?

Will this mostly be a FW and Slalom event?

WOW it's only 2 months away!!

samson_jerome

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: Kona charters will be available at Nationals! Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Thanks to Steve and Marty Gottlieb at Sandy Point Progressive Sports, Kona charters will be available at Nationals again this year. So yes, you may travel to the event with just your harness in tow!

Book early though, as the trailer will hit the road from Florida to Texas with just the right number of kits necessary to satisfy advanced bookings. We'll make sure to add that information to the NOR, along with who to contact to confirm your reservation!

Jerome.
amarie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks!!
sailaero

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello
Yes we will be offering a limited number of Kona
charters at Nationals. Charters for complete boards will be $175 for the event.
Sail sizes will range from 6.6 to 9.8 depending on weight or skill level. You can reserve your charter from Sherry@progressivesports.com
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: US Windsurfing Nationals May 11-14 Reply with quote

amarie wrote:
Nationals will be held in Corpus Christi, Texas this year. The organizers are offering a ton of divisions and a schedule to accomodate people entering more than one division to maximize time on the water. There should be some great competition, but there are also "B" divisions and a freeride gear division if you just want to come try out a beautiful venue and enjoy the course with no pressure. Registration is now open:

http://www.uswindsurfingnationals.com/

Hi, amarie... Are you the event organizer... or, do you know them... or other's here on iW, familiar with windsurfing at Oleander Point, Corpus Christie!!!
A couple questions.
I'm looking at the USWA 2016 National's - website - "Event Schedule".
On the daily schedule, the bigger board and sail racing (Raceboard Class, Kona class, FW, 293 One Design) is set for the early to mid part of the day. And after a scheduled break... the smaller board and sail racing (slalom, freestyle, long distance) is set for the late afternoon evening time. This is GREAT and will allow people to participate in many different windsurfing styles/disciplines (even if you get last place like me... you still learn a lot and gain valuable experiences Smile

I'm curious about typical wind conditions. I know you don't have a "crystal ball" and "normal wind" can change at any time and place or lots of reasons... however...

* For that time of year, at Oleander Point... What do experienced locals expect for early to mid day wind speeds (during the longboard racing time, for example)?
* And what do experienced locals expect for the late afternoon evening wind speeds (during the slalom racing for example)???
* Next, will there be a wind minimum (or maximum) for running the slalom racing (or long distance, freestyle, longboard, etc.)???

I know the local organizer's have thought this through carefully, and of course, no one knows for sure. But they would have hopeful intentions, for what would be typical... expected... practical... safe... insane... etc.
Thanks, Greg Smile

amarie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not the organizer, but I know them and I'd suggest contacting them directly at the email at the bottom of that site. They can describe the particulars of how the event will be run.

I've sailed at this location a lot and have entered and/or volunteered at past versions of the event, so I can share my personal experience. Like any weather-based event, obviously you can't guarantee anything. The typical late spring pattern here is wind building as the day goes on, peaking late afternoon. It's pretty steady wind with small chop right by the beach and larger fun chop further off the beach. When spring is good here, you can count on sailing the majority of days, and when it's really awesome, nearly every day of some weeks. Hopefully for the event we'll get one of those good stretches. Last year things got really weird with El Nino and we had much fewer sailing days with lots of rain, but that seems to be over. This year has already started off great and we just had 4 awesome days in a row at this launch last week.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, and yes, I'll take your suggestion and email them.
And thanks for promoting this here on iW !!

And yes, I know there are no guarantees.
But just based on your experience... yes, that gives me a clue.
However, everyone around the county has different definitions of what "wind building through the day, peaking late afternoon" means.
And what "awesome sailing" is... what "sailing is good, the majority of the days" means.

Sorry. not trying to be picky... I appreciate your reply Smile
It's just that where I live, people say "sailing was awesome" when they're gliding around on a longboard in 3 knot wind. And in other places, people won't even go out unless they can be powered up on a 5M sail. And in other places, it doesn't matter if it's blowing 25 knots... because unless there's also great waves... people say it sucks.

So your description is great. But can you put a "range of wind in knots" to those descriptions? Mid-day to late day? Sailing a majority of the days? "Awesome sailing"?

Thanks very much, Greg Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: