myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ebay Boards No Thanks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spanker_jeep

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Ebay Boards No Thanks! Reply with quote

Hi,

Note to potential fleabay sellerz. I nor anyone else want your 1984 glass board including wind-pole and life preserver. I sure as hell don't want to pay $500 for it. Thanks! Embarassed
tomg

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some old stuff is fun cause it's retro, fun to use and brings back happy memories - think old motorcycle, classic bicycle maybe even some kinds of clothes.

And then some old stuff is fun to hang on the wall just cause its interesting to look at - like some surf boards.

But windsurfing gear? I'm sorry, its like a lot of sporting goods and tech stuff: performance is sorely lacking; its day is over! (those in doubt can purchase one of several decades old computers I have saved up).

My favorite of those postings are the ones where they say "in pristine condition" and " paid $3,000 and for it in 1996".
Socalsailor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offered the guy 50 down from 500. He went for it. Might use it as a wall decoration.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tomg wrote:
But windsurfing gear? I'm sorry, its like a lot of sporting goods and tech stuff: performance is sorely lacking; its day is over!

For what I and many B&J sailors want a board to do, 10 years old can't be beat. It's all in the criteria.
poussin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars has the right idea.
Of course some of those old school boards are not the same as new boards.
Just like the old motorcycles.....
they perform differently-maybe that's why some of the old school stuff has
a place in some of our lives. It all depends on what you are really looking for.
"New" can be better-but not always and not for everything.
If you are really true to what you actually value in a ride on a board, then you won't simply jump on the newest pony in town and consider it to be the best.
The new multi-fin boards are being pushed hard by the industry, however,
they are not all they are cracked up to be-unless you really are into wave sailing.
Of course, some people on craigslist are asking too much for their old gear that has little value in todays windsurfing market. And back in the day they may have spent a fortune on that stuff-but don't throw the baby out with the bath water. There is some good old school stuff out there for a bargain and a half IF you know what you are looking for and know what works for you.
Obviously, nobody will ever make money in terms of investment in windsurfing gear-but look on the bright side-one mans garbage is another mans gold.
Just like old motorcycles, it's a different kind of a ride-and maybe that's exactly what some of us who really know what we like are looking for.
Don't get me wrong, because I love some of the new gear, but I also
love some of the old gear for different conditions and applications.
Look at Angulo boards for example. They have stuck with a more old school shape and design for a simple reason-it works and it works quite well.

For the person who bargained for a board from $500 to $50, well, great!!
be happy about that. Obviously, they clearly wanted that board since they actually bought it-AND they got a screaming deal!

What's more worry-some is the fact that there are fewer and fewer used boards/gear to choose from.

Remember......always ask questions and question the so-called authority'
Know what you like and what works for you-you may just be the next person to get an awesome deal on some older gear.

Keep on sailing!

Greg
Socalsailor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poussin wrote:
Isobars has the right idea.

What's more worry-some is the fact that there are fewer and fewer used boards/gear to choose from.

Greg

I agree with everything you said! Except this part^^^

This could mean that more and more people are getting into this sport, and using used gear as a platform from which to build on. I don't see why it should be worrisome.

With respect to picking up that board at a screamin deal, I didn't. But only because I already have so many and that one really would've become a wall decoration. however, I picked up an older jp freestyle 103 and an axxis 85L for a hundred bucks to the pair. Today I picked up a 2010 starboard formula for free-no dings just some minor storage scuffs. I don't even formula, just saw it lying there under a GO in the back of a warehouse and asked the guy.

Point being, even if you think something is way out of your price range, just go for it. Windsurfing gear devalues so quickly it seems. Deals are out there, just gotta look for them, and then lowball the crap outta the seller.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: