myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Footstraps sailing-need help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waterstart

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2000 9:25 pm    Post subject: Footstraps sailing-need help Reply with quote

I have tried to sail in the straps but as soon as I put my foot in the front strap I end up pushing the board upwind. What do I do wrong? At what time do you get in the straps?
joeyyyy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2000 2:44 am    Post subject: RE: Footstraps sailing-need help Reply with quote

you are most likely raking the sail back unknowingly, you might also be leaning/sinking your windward edge. try making an efort to push off the wind alittle while you get into the straps. and what might help is to put more of your weight on the mast to push off the wind. also try to keep the board flat while your get in the straps.
Good luck.....
and happy sailing...
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2000 12:53 pm    Post subject: RE: Footstraps sailing-need help Reply with quote

Our boards have three steering wheels: sheeting in/out, rolling board right/left, and tilting the rig forenaft. You may be doing any or all of these three to turn upwind. Stop doing them. Stay sheeted in, dont tilt the rig back util youre planing, and dont weight the upwind rail unless you want to turn upwind.

The sequence goes like this. Uphaul. Get going. Sheet in and bear off to get planing. Step gradually back as your increased planing speed provides enough hull lift to allow you to step back. [More speed allows you to step back in two ways: it provides more hydrodynamic lift to support your weight, and it shortens the waterline and moves it rearward so the center of lateral resistance moves back so tilting the sails center of effort back does not place the COE behind the CLR.]When you have stepped back to the point you are standing at the straps, its time to step into them.

For discussion purposes, forget the rig angles for right now, because this is a footstrap question. Think what happens when you put your front foot in the strap first. You then put most of your weight on it so you can lift your back foot to put it into its strap. Putting that weight on your front foot in its strap weights the upwind rail and thus steers you board upwind. So why not put the back foot in its strap first, because its on the centerline or nearer the centerlione than the front strap and this tilts the board less upwind. Then divide your weight between that strapped rear foor and your harness lines (mastfoot) -- all more centerline forces than placing your weight in a rail-mounted front strap -- while you fish for and enter the front strap. Then as your speed keeps increasing, you can transfer more and more weight onto that back foot, footsteering with the centered back foot as you find the front strap. Having the back foot strapped in also provides 99%-sure catapult insurance, whereas having the front foot nailed to the deck when a gust hits is an invitation to a launch.

Ive put my back foot in first for 18 years now, for many reasons, and have never understood this front-foot-first idea that I first heard of just weeks ago.

Also, go to rec.windsurfing, where this was beat to death a month or two ago.

Mike \m/
waterstart

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2000 2:19 pm    Post subject: RE: Footstraps sailing-need help Reply with quote

Hi,
1- about 30 hours this season in no less than 18mph. Last year I was on big boards.
2- I use a Neil Pryde V6 5.0 on an old 810 Bic Electric Rock (over 100l?)

FYI, I can waterstart and point well and I am in the harness. But in 20 mph winds out of the straps it gets pretty scary!

Question: I am french, from Paris are you also? (I live in California where I sail)
waterstart

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2000 2:30 pm    Post subject: RE: Footstraps sailing-need help Reply with quote

THANK YOU! The back foot in first makes 100 times more sense to me also. It sounds a lot like basic physics to me. I can do everything that makes sense so I am sure I will succeed based on your advise.
Thanks again!
spyder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2000 7:51 pm    Post subject: RE: Footstraps sailing-need help Reply with quote

I will have to try your back foot method.. I learned long ago to get in with the front foot. so I dont really think about it now...I just get in. But I am interested in how well that works for telling someone else what is the best way. I agree the catapult percentage should be less.
jhanrah1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2000 12:53 am    Post subject: RE: Footstraps sailing-need help Reply with quote

Dear:waterstart, I disagree with the concept of putting your back foot in first.BUT IF IT WORKS BY ALL MEANS GOOO WITH IT. When your just at planing speed use mast base presure by putting your weight on the boom and stay sheeted in ( this is the key ) get into your harness lines,this will keep the mast base presure, and the board flat and stay planing. NOW, DONT LOOK DOWN,LOOK WERE YOUR GOING ( this is another key factor) without looking down slide your FRONT FOOT in the strap ( this is where I disagree with the back foot concept, if a gust hits you, where do you get launched? forward right. So if the sail is pulling you forward what foot are you going to use to stop from getting launched THE FRONT FOOT RIGHT) think about it. As you insert the front foot into the stap, use toe presure to keep the board flat, thats very important. Then when you feel comfortable slide you back foot in WITHOUT LOOKING DOWN. and your off. I hope this works for you let me know how youre doing HAPPY SAILING ENJOY AND HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
guysmiley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2000 11:40 pm    Post subject: RE: Footstraps sailing-need help Reply with quote

only get in the straps when youre standing on top of them you round up because yore getting in too soon. so as you slide youre deet back just wait till youre on top of them then put youre feet in and shred
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: