myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Looking for a Boom, and Boom advice....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derikthin wrote:
buying new would probably save me money in the long run

Not by a long shot, IMO. Even if you had been sailing for years, you would still be in the talking-yourself-into-different-gear mode. You are light years from being able to tell the difference between 2016 and 2010 gear, and the latter is dirt cheap even if barely used. You are equally far from pegging the upper and lower size limits and the gaps in between. Surely your fellow East Coasties can steer you to sizeable swap meets within driving range. Next best may be exactly what you're doing: posting links to Craig's List items of interest. And do not be afraid to underbid quite significantly. The only two things that even tempt me to pay an asking price for used gear are:
1. Don't you think that's a fair price? (That works only if the answer is a definite "Yes.")

and

2. I want that exact item badly enough to pay almost any price for it and haven't seen one available for years.

OTOH, you DO need newer sails.
Derikthin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to get his 7.5, 6.4 and I saw he had a 4.2 but don't know if my mast will fit that. If it will I'm gonna snag it.

Going to either get a new or used mast by Saturday.

Then I'll have a crappy 5.4 a 4 something 6 something and 7 something and still have a healthy Marriage.

Wish me luck gang. This is worst then the GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) from playing guitar in a band....
hanrahje

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion, none of the sails on the craigslist link are a good deal for you.

- Mistral Windsurfing Sail - skip, too old
- Pacific VMax 7.9 sq meter - skip, your mast is too small
- Quantum WindWing 7.5 sq meter - skip, your mast is too small
- Naish 6.3 sq meter - skip, right size but cams are too much trouble when learning
- DeVries 4.2 sq meter - skip, your mast is too small
- F2 SailMakers WindSurfing Sail Wind Surfing - skip, too old
- 2011 Severne Blade Windsurfing sail - skip, nice small sail to learn on but your mast is too long (413 luff vs. your 460 mast)
Derikthin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I return the mast I got last weekend and get a longer mast then?

I can get an extension for the top of the mast of the mast I think. At least that's what the guy mentioned last weekend.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice would be to relax a little and get more experience with what you have. Windsurfing items for sale are still coming out of the woodwork.

The picture of the red 5.4 O'Brien is interesting. It looks like it has two long zippers that will take off part of the sail and reduce it's size. If the zippers work that 5.4 looks like it goes down to something like 5.0 & 4.5. I had a Neil Pryde of that era with a 2-3 ft zippered batten pocket. The zipper was big like the ones on your sail and it worked all the time. Yours might be somewhat corroded but still workable. Rubbing a candle on the zippers might give them the slickness needed to work again.
Derikthin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take the advice and hold off for a bit. Still going to get the longer boom though.

Del you are seeing zippers, and I'll try that candle trick.
Derikthin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the same time would I be better off to get the longer mast if I can swap the one I bought last weekend for a longer one and get the newer sails? I have the older mast that still fits the older sails.

Or is 460 a good mast length now a days? And better to stay that size and find sails for that length?

I do not like driving around with a 16' mast to be honest and having one that splits into two is a real blessing.
scargo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the conditions we have here, and for your boards and skill level, a quality 460 is a good place to start. Then I'd get a 5.5 and 7.0, which should both rig on that, depending on the manufacturer, and a suitable boom (i.e., one that's not extended all the way out for the 7.0). That will cover you in lots of different conditions, especially considering that you can enjoy your longboards in non-planing conditions.

You'll eventually want a smaller sail and board, but the kit I described could keep you very happy for a couple of years.
hanrahje

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig gave good advice on page 2 of this thread. 460 could be a good mast for you but it depends on how windy it is when and where you sail. Look up the average wind statistics for your launch on iwindsurf and plan around that.

If you can swap the mast, you may do well with a 430 cm mast and a 5.0 or 5.5 sail. It's much easier to learn sail handling with a smaller and lighter rig. You won't go as fast, but you will have more control. Just like it is easier to learn to ski on a pair of 160 beginner skis before getting 180 all-mountain skis.

If you can't swap the mast, the 460 will also work. Reread Craig's post on page 2. It was good advice.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the winds are really as you stated in your area, a 460 should be good.
and your center sail should be a about a 7.0. A 460 should be good
to about 8M sails (older sails were higher aspect and did require longer masts though)

For your purposes those Craig's list sails are poor choices. You should learn
the basics on what you have, and then look for some quality used sails.
Let us know when you start planing around. That would be a good time
to invest in some used sails. I've had great success buying Isobars used
sails ;*) and many others, but you do want to understand how long they've
been rigged and lying in the sun.

I have masts from 340 to 490, but again it depends on the sail, and
eventually, you're going to come to the fact that certain sails were
designed around certain masts, so you'll want the mast (or sail) that
mates nicely with what you plan to keep.

-Craig

Derikthin wrote:
At the same time would I be better off to get the longer mast if I can swap the one I bought last weekend for a longer one and get the newer sails? I have the older mast that still fits the older sails.

Or is 460 a good mast length now a days? And better to stay that size and find sails for that length?

I do not like driving around with a 16' mast to be honest and having one that splits into two is a real blessing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: