myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Beginner Windsurf / SUP Board recommendations
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest the Exocet WindSUP. Eventually you will be able to use an 8.5 sail and you would probably be able to get going with that in those winds assuming it is not too choppy.

I use the Exocet 10 WindSUP with the Ezzy Zephyr 7.5 which pulls like a 8.5 and at 160 lbs. I can have some fun in average wind speeds 11mph something when it is rigged right.
wernerhickey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...to follow up on my vid earlier in the thread - on that day I was the only person out - there are a huge number of sailors on that coast not even bothering to rig up because they would be barging around wasting their time on anything else. The fun comes from catching lifts from that sloppy swell and trying to keep it going. It is not obvious in the clip but there is a following swell as well as one coming in on the left side. On some occasions I have fallen off the back of the board due to un-expectantly picking up a sudden lift from behind as the board wants to surf. As many have said nothing else turns a "cr@p" day into a fun day like boards such as this. When the wind picks up - this one planes without effort.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wernerhickey, funny you mentioned that because I just returned from a day like that 1 hour ago. I figure I caught about 15 swells on my way in from the beach. The wind was just under planing for me but with the swell I would plane up and sometimes the wind came up a bit more and I would plane.

Even kiters riding huge planks could not deal with the light wind and went in, but I was having a great time.

wernerhickey, just curious, maybe I missed it, what sail size are you using and what is your weight? I am just wondering if the 11'8" would be even more fun for me because it might catch those swells even easier.
wernerhickey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am around 100kgs - bit under at the moment but experience tells me that will be short lived Smile - the sail in the clip was a North S-Type 9.2 really though in those conditions a smaller sail would not have been much of a disadvantage. I often use a Naish Indy 8.2(I think) - I had the North pre rigged so I use that. I have found getting the mast position right important due I think to the bottom shape - too far forward and the board ploughs - too far back and it creates drag by sinking the tail. I don't fuss too much - just leave it back from the centre of the tack.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks wernerhickey, that is good to know. I am 72kgs, so perhaps the smaller Exocet WindSUP still makes sense for me.

Thanks for sharing the 9.2 vs. the 8.2. I am running a Ezzy Zephyr 7.5 and Ezzy says it pulls like a 8.5 and I believe it because it has a lot more pull then my Ezzy Cheetah 7.5.

I feel like if there is just the lightest breeze I can get going, so I was thinking a 9 something sail might not make a difference because when there is almost no breeze the larger sail still might not do anything.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I am running a Ezzy Zephyr 7.5 and Ezzy says it pulls like a 8.5 and I believe it because it has a lot more pull then my Ezzy Cheetah 7.5."

Haven't we discussed this before? Actually, the 7.5 Zephyr isn't a 7.5 at all. In reality, it's bigger than 8.0 Cheetah, and nearly as big as an 8.5 Cheetah at the boom. Just check the specifications.

7.5 Cheetah - 478 luff 203-211 boom length
8.0 Cheetah - 486 luff 212-220 boom length
8.5 Cheetah - 503 luff 219-227 boom length

7.5 Zephyr - 489 luff 215-226 boom length
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes swchandler, we did in another thread when I was trying to decide what sail to buy, and thank you for pointing that out as it did help in my decision to buy it, and as you can tell I really like it.

It has turned days that were marginal or boring on my regular 7.5 into a lot of fun.

I still call it a 7.5 because that is what Ezzy has printed on it, but I let others know at my sailing spot that it really has the boom length of an 8.5 and pulls like one.

I still use my Cheetah 7.5 when the wind is nearing the max for a 7.5 sail, but when the wind is marginal the Zephyr is my go to sail.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a Kona one. End of story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: