myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Need gybing help (planing exits!) - Video Link Inside
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shamran

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sliding your mast hand closer to the mast will help the flip.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
the back hand needs to slide way back ...

That ... or flip the sail sooner, when it offers little to no resistance. If I need to exert force to sheet in during a jibe, it means I waited too late in the carve.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
beaglebuddy wrote:

That ... or flip the sail sooner, when it offers little to no resistance. If I need to exert force to sheet in during a jibe, it means I waited too late in the carve.

I'm gonna speculate you are talking about a hard carving, tight, quick gybe which would be more of an advanced move IMO
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghost1, you must be very nimble because you almost have it despite three major technique flaws.
1. Not sliding the back hand back and sheeting in first.
2. Not sliding the front hand to the boom head as the flip is initiated.
3. Grabbing the mast instead of the boom on the new side.
When your board is pointed about straight downwind your sail should be sheeted in and parallel with the board instead it is completely sheeted out 90 degrees to the board which is starting to hop up and down instead of carve, most people fall off the back of the board at this point as they lean back trying to control the sail but you somehow keep turning and manage a sail flip.
You do manage to look where you want to go very nicely and I think your footwork is fine, you just need to correct a few bad habits.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
isobars wrote:
beaglebuddy wrote:

I'm gonna speculate you are talking about a hard carving, tight, quick gybe which would be more of an advanced move IMO

Wile it certainly applies there. on a broader scale it apples to any jibe in fully powered conditions with moderate-sized sails ... i.e., wider jibes on boards with sufficient glide and sails up to ~7.5 or so. In those conditions we can rely more on using speed and glide rather than horsepower to maintain planing, and thus jibe the sail sooner, when it doesn't fight back.

Lacking sufficient speed and/or glide, I maintain power through the turn, then at the point where the OP and most other jibers let the wind blow the sail around the bend as they stall, I flip the sail even harder than when gliding -- VERY aggressively with a 7.5 -- simply because that leaves me coasting unpowered as little as possible.

Is that an advanced move? I dunno, but it got me through years of turning around before I could plane through them, until one day (late summer 1991, Cochiti Lake NM, east winds from supercells 100 miles to the east, yellow 9' Angulo slalom board) they just started clicking.

Aim high.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ghost1,

You are probably getting overwhelmed with advice here but here is some more. As many others have pointed out you do have a major problem with your sail flip. At the 27 second mark you can see your front hand is about 18” from the mast when you flip the sail which creates a pivot point for your sail 18” away from the mast. This forces you to grab the mast at the 28/29 second mark. Grabbing the mast now forces you to reach for the boom in front of the harness lines @ the 31 second mark so there is no way for you to sheet in with one hand on the mast and the other in front of the harness lines thus another second or two as you now have to move your back hand behind the harness lines & your front hand off the mast onto the boom. The sail flip problem reoccurs in all your jibes. The obvious solution is more practice in light wind or on the beach flipping the sail making sure you slide your front hand right up to the mast before the sail flip.

One obvious reason for your sail flip problem is you have always flipped the sail that way even in light wind. However, if you properly flip the sail in light wind but are only having sail flip problems on you carve jibe it could be due to other problems that I see in your jibe. You appear to be having a lot of pressure on your back foot as if you are completely jibing off your back foot. Jibing off your back foot causes the board to be less flat-plowing the water in front of it slowing you down. The reasons I say this is I noticed in your clew shot that your back foot was perpendicular to your board and with modern boards it is easier if your back foot is more parallel to your front foot similar to snow skiing. Also during your jibe I noticed your front foot is flat on the deck of the board which is a strong indicator that there is no pressure on it, thus all the pressure is on your back foot. Your front heel should be off the deck of the board as you drive your knees towards the foot of the sail which will help keep the board flat. Peter Hart likes to say bend the ankles as opposed to bend the knees.

I hope this helps.

Coachg
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no pushing with the straight front arm and pulling/sheeting in with the back arm.
Moving the back hand way back and sliding the front hand forward will be easy to relearn, the grabbing of the mast will be a tougher habit to break.
Goodwind

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is all about “Boom Shaka”

http://www.guycribb.com/userfiles/documents/boomshaka.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlgogHJpAug Laughing
UncleRandy

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi u look real close to making it. Most the advice your getting
Is spot on. The only think i can add is it looks like your coasting
To much u real need to reach back more and push that sail to clew
First and flip before u over turn and loose your speed. Try coming
Out clew first a few times it will keep u from over turning
ghost1

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Guy Cribb saying in his DVD that a lot of people struggle with their exits, and they think the exit is the problem. However, it's usually caused by something that happened earlier in the gybe. "If you think you have a problem with your exit, think again". Looks like that is exactly what's going on with me.

I have spent a lot of time this week reading all of your replies. Thank you so much, I have read (and re-read) them all! Now I'm trying to summarize all of this advice into something I can reference at the beach. This is what I have come up with:

Preparation
- Look behind me to make sure the coast is clear
- Reach back further with back hand
- Unhook by arching hips (instead of standing up)

Entry
- Sheet in more with back hand
- Extend front arm
- Let sail pull me into turn (these 3 items should reduce board's bounciness)

Mid-point
- Keep board a carving on inside rail and not bouncing around
- Don't gybe completely off back foot
- Lift heel of front foot (shouldn't be flat on the deck)
- Bend at knees, but also bend at ankles
- Speed up transition of foot switch, sail flip and sheet in
- Once the power in the sail drops - Rotate rig faster and more aggresively
- Slide front hand right up to mast when fipping sail - BOOM SHAKKA! - - STOP grabbing the mast

Homework
- Light wind and beach practice of sail flip. Focus on sliding hand to mast each time
- More time on water
- Keep watching Guy Cribb's Gybing Intution! Best $50 I ever spent on windsurfing Smile
- Most of all - keep practising Smile

Additional Advice
- Get Dasher's 12 step gybing
- Try going strap to strap (a couple guys at my launch have recommended this as well)

And I've got the gopro mounted, so when I finally come out planing I'm going to post a video!

Pretty cool - coaching ace Jem Hall was super cool and replied to me and offered the following advice in a youtube comment and then a facebook message. I am strongly considering one of his coaching clinics in 2017, they look amazing

Thanks again,
Jonathan

Jem Hall.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  116.51 KB
 Viewed:  15917 Time(s)

Jem Hall.jpg

jem hall2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  228.7 KB
 Viewed:  15917 Time(s)

jem hall2.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: