myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How do you store your gear?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakeSurf

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: How do you store your gear? Reply with quote

My garage is filling up with tons of toys. I may hang some of my cheaper boards and kayaks under my screened in porch. But just looking for good ways to store a bunch of gear so it doesn't take up much space. Pics would helpful too if you have a good system
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

surprised no one has nibbled on this one in times of "no wind" Smile

if the garage is tall / high enough, the logical thing is to store them standing up with some kind of separation for ease of access
then sails could probably be stood up as well

otherwise ... some kind of shelving/rack where boards can be stored horizontally and sails too
some have boards on rack from the ceiling, but i find that impractical and suggests the garage is high - use the stand-up option instead

we have mandatory winter tires here and so on the off season tires I put one board with tennis balls in straps and sail bag with another board on top
sails are on top of the boards and booms hang from bike hanger
this makes taking some boards out a PITA...
do have one more board on home made dowels from the wall
have considered making more wall hung boards for access

there are MANY images and discussions on the subject
https://www.google.ca/search?q=windsurf+storage&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=947&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjMw9fXyL3MAhWIPT4KHdG5DzQQ_AUIBigB

this fellow squeezes car n stuff n his garage - some sails look like they could use more support tho

techno900

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the joys of windsurfing - organizing, managing, storing, transporting all the toys. Most of us started like you, accumulating stuff in the garage and then figuring out how to cram it into and on top of our cars to get to the lake/beach.

Ingenuity is the game, and the goal is to minimize the time it takes from the point you decide to head to the lake until you are on the road with all the appropriate gear.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
the goal is to minimize the time it takes from the point you decide to head to the lake until you are on the road with all the appropriate gear.

And the solutions to that include studying forecasts, watching the real time data, and having a dedicated WSing vehicle always stuffed to the gills with gear.

Coworkers often asked me if I was going sailing that afternoon.
"Probably not, but that stuff just lives in and on that vehicle in case it gets breezy." (I worked on Air Force bases, so theft was not a factor.)

Just one example of studying the weather: we found that thunderstorms, if moving <10 mph (the slower the better) and tracking SW to NE west of our local New Mexico lake would produce a few hours of very steady winds. When radar, the weather radio, or our eyes indicated those conditions, we'd make the 30-45 minute drive preemptively. That snagged many unforecast sessions from suppertime 'til well after dark, but only for those whose gear was already loaded; the payoff was too spotty to warrant loading and unloading every time.

Perhaps a trailer?
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at that garage photo, I wonder how many times that person showed up at the beach with the wrong gear, or simply forgot a critical component. Then there's all the loading and unloading. Buy a van, put everything in it, and you're always ready with all your gear.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Looking at that garage photo, I wonder how many times that person showed up at the beach with the wrong gear, or simply forgot a critical component. Then there's all the loading and unloading. Buy a van, put everything in it, and you're always ready with all your gear.

Assuming you don't have a lot of gear. We usually have 5 boards, 4-5 booms, and about 10 sails in the van. Another 10 boards and a few more sails are in the garage, and get swapped out as needed. It's faster to swap boards than to squeeze more boards into the van (which we do for trips to Hatteras and Texas).

But we're two windsurfers who like to do different things, and sail in both light and planing conditions. For one typical windsurfer, getting everything into a van is less of a problem.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I have 7 boards, at least 11 sails, 4 booms and 6 masts in my van, and that doesn't count the myriad of other components, fins and wetsuits in there. All that stuff is only for me. On top of that, I have 9 more boards that I'm not using stored in my house. While I have no garage, I do have a small shed that has probably another 10 sails from the past, and I also have number of old masts stored under my house. Believe me, I've got a ton of stuff that I've collected from my 30 years windsurfing.
capetonian

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A standing rack against the wall is pretty easy.

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.28 MB
 Viewed:  13689 Time(s)

image.jpeg

capetonian

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found these ceiling racks on Craigslist

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.24 MB
 Viewed:  13689 Time(s)

image.jpeg

capetonian

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These wall racks are useful for storing long boards like Exocet/Kona X-longboard.

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.42 MB
 Viewed:  13688 Time(s)

image.jpeg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: