myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Looking to boost light and onshore conditions for my Quad
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
capetonian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try your board with the 16 cm rears, and plugs in the front boxes. You've got nothing to lose.

I sail my Quatro 110 L quad as a twin with 17.5 cm twin fins for sails from 5.5-6.7. Works well for me in cross onshore conditions. Gets planing earlier than set up as a quad - standard MFC quad set (QS 400) was 16.5 cm rears and 9 cm fronts. I'm 84 kg.

The only time I prefer a quad set up is when there is plenty of wind to plane and the board is bouncing around too much, then switching to quad settles the ride down.
manuel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will try that next. I did like the 16+11 more than the 16+8 setup because the board connection to the wave was more precise and less floaty. If I can get that nice rail carve with secure front foot drive as a twin then it could work.

Should the fins be more forward? To loosen the ride I moved the rear 16's farther forward than the 13's when used with the 11's up front.

manuel

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... tried twin MFC ProFlex 16cm and it felt pretty quick (4.5 powered to underpowered), faster than my freewave which is a good thing. Jumps were much higher. I liked how radical it felt on a wave, yet spinout threshold was quite acceptable. Upwind performance was so-so. The fins released smoothly not abrupt so there's some carving sensation without being so slidey. The board was a bit more bouncy, fins were all the way forward.

Will try with fins 1.5cm off the front. I might have to move mast track forward, a touch behind center now.

First impression was that it slid onto the plane, it's a progressive acceleration add opposed to a sudden pop. But it felt less draggy and delayed than with the quad setup. Top speed was also improved, it felt fast.

More tomorrow.

Waterat Pat

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manuel did it ever occur to you it might not be the fins at all? Starboards I have tried in the past have what I call the patented Scotty Mckercher rocker with pronounced tail kick. Great on a wave but a killer for early planing in on shore conditions. Quads are pretty loose because of the fin setup so don't really need all that rocker kick.
manuel

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a combinaison of both but it's mostly the conditions' fault Very Happy !

I did try with the twin fins a bit farther back, it was a little stiffer in the turns and didn't have much influence if any on planing, speed or drive. I will post updates when we get a light wind 5.0 day.

So far I do like it, it seems to have less drag even on a wave (a bit less sticky with more board out of the water). I was worried about loosing board bite but it felt pretty much the same when loading up the rail. The only thing is that it's a bit bouncier.

manuel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok after much testing, I am now on 16+11. The 16 are quite far forward (had to grind down the base to set farther forward), they are where I used them as twins. The 11's are maybe 1cm off of the front?

Now I have good drive, I can push strong and get support in light winds (for lulls, bad onshore chop/swell, early planing, etc). It's not skatey but I can still break the fins loose, the grip is tremendous on a wave though, feels very safe going down a choppy wave and I can use so much force at the top turn it feels great.

Top speed isn't that bad at all, definitely not slow the plus side is that I have great control. I got a bit more lift, the nose rarely hits the chop and I can expose the windward rail more easily to maintain the plane.

On a gusty 4.5 day, but not overpowered, I didn't find it particularly stiff, it was fine. Because of side-on conditions when not a wave, we are either going upwind or doing a downwind run right before a jump so having strong fins (or a faster board) helps a bit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: