myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sticky mast joint
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scargo

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd want to get the manufacturer's opinion, as well as create a proper paper trail. But given that a snug fit is going to distribute the load the most evenly, I'd tend to view this is an opportunity to get the fit just right. (On the other hand, a too-tight fit will want to blow out the connection.)

Use fine-grit paper, so that you don't inadvertently make things out of round. But I bet if you worked on it for about 10-15 minutes, you could make it perfect.

Also, if you have any McLube around, give that a try (once you've sanded some). I gave my masts a squirt a long time ago, and thereafter have never had a sticky joint.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad idea, but don't let that stuff anywhere near your Boom reinforcement section.

-Craig

scargo wrote:

Also, if you have any McLube around, give that a try (once you've sanded some). I gave my masts a squirt a long time ago, and thereafter have never had a sticky joint.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which end and piece of the interface is out of spec ... the bottom of the male section or the top of the female section? (Even more important is how one explains that terminology to his 6-yo WSing grommet.)

Is the offending section out of round, off-center, or simply the wrong diameter? Or is there a protrusion somewhere that needs to be chipped or sanded off? OR maybe a mouse deep in the cavity?

If "wearing in" will solve the problem, why don't ferrules "wear out"?

Figure out in advance how you're going to get that mast home the first time you, half a dozen burly buds, and past threads on stuck masts all fail to separate that beast at dusk some day.

And plan ahead and dress for a long swim on the day that partially inserted ferrule snaps and tears up your sail. (It's much like the guy who said, "Don't sweat it; I'll pay for the repairs when your sail blows out due to my dog's claw holes".)

"No, you'll pay for a new panel today, BEFORE my sail fails three miles downriver. And leash up your damned dog."

Both Naish and your dealer should be EAGER to fix the problem BEFORE it causes harm.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking for myself, I wouldn't sand the ferrule until you've contacted your Naish dealer and gained their authorization to do it. What I would do in the meantime is use some bar soap on the ferrule to help identify where the problem is. That way you have some idea where to sand once an OK is given.
Socalsailor

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still waiting for naish to get back to me. As for which end is out of spec I think it's the base of the male ferrule. We'll see what the manufacturer has to say.
DAVIBO

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: sticky mast Reply with quote

sand it with 400 grit wet paper, works every time....just hold the paper around the ferrule and spin the mast with the other hand and it will be fixed in 2 min. do it all the time w/ new racing masts and does not affect the strength as it only takes a tiny bit of sanding to make it a perfect fit.
DAVIBO

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: sticky mast Reply with quote

should add....DON'T SAIL IT...until you've fixed it :)
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sand it with light grit paper until it slips in easy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: