myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kona One in high winds
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
konajoe

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
I just spent a month at South Padre. There were two people staying in the complex that were training for some sort of K1 races. I had lots of opportunity to race around with them in less than ideal conditions. In 6.5 planning conditions, the K1 was not even close to the speed of my freeride Tabou Rocket.

I'm gonna call at least partial B.S. on this. Those Kona sailors are locals to my area. They don't recall anyone on a short board racing around with them. They claim that they were doing a lot of upwind sailing and broad reaching. They recall shortboards occasionally going by them while sailing upwind, sometimes with centerboard down. But they claim those shortboards were overtaking them while sailing courses 30 degrees lower than them.

They said it was way more common for them to be passing shortboards in lulls.

I can think of 4 things that need to be done to correctly compare board speeds:

1: Sailors of equal ability (You were probably better than those guys.)

2: Rigs that are at least similar. If they were on Kona rigs....

3: Similar weights. Those 2 are very light. If everyone is fully powered, heavier = higher potential speed. (GPS guys wear weight vests.)

4: Both parties need to know that a board comparison is in progress. They don't recall any nod or wink with anyone saying 'race on'. But, they ARE older, so maybe they're memory is off. (So, only partial B.S.)
scargo

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that you have to be careful with comparisons, but as an owner of a K1 and three Tabou Rockets (of different sizes), there's no question that the Rocket is a faster board when both boards are sailing on a beam reach. Can it go around a triangle course faster? Probably not--depending on conditions--but when people refer to board speed, they're talking about a drag race.

That said, the K1 is no pig, and it can be pushed really hard through technique and commitment.

I'm often reminded of that scene in Blues Brothers where after someone criticizes the Fender Rhodes, Ray Charles sits down, gives the instrument a workout, and declares, "ain't nothing wrong with this piano."

Ain't nothing wrong with the K1. But like any other board, it's important to acknowledge its limitations. The OP should definitely get a smaller board, but if that doesn't happen next week, he'll be fine staying on the K1 for a while.
konajoe

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Any reasonable shortboard 'should' be faster than a Kona on a beam reach when fully powered. But it sucks if you're one of the people behind the Konas in this picture from 2016 Nationals Day 1 slalom race. It's on their Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/uswindsurfing/photos/pb.128251630557191.-2207520000.1463055779./993599537355725/?type=3&theater
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those do NOT look like tiny sails in big winds
if they are KONA sails
green is 8.2 !!

i still cannot imagine a big fat bear like myself on a K1 in big winds with a small sail
235 lbs/ 105 kilos

will discuss with local K1 sailor - sailboarder ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: