myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Blog: Gorge, Bay Area, Maui & SoCal all RIP!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Blog: Gorge, Bay Area, Maui & SoCal all RIP! Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

As you can see in the imagery below yesterday was a wild day not just for the eastern Gorge but also for the Bay Area, Maui & SoCal. Amazingly the causes all this wind were basically the same for all venues.

This blog details these causes in imagery and video:

http://blog.weatherflow.com/3pm-april-25-2016-the-west-rips/

Enjoy,

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
Weatheflow.com

SoCalBayGorgeRIP.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  165.4 KB
 Viewed:  7645 Time(s)

SoCalBayGorgeRIP.jpg

Last edited by windfind on Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
brettn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interest. Thanks for the post.

Do you have any epilogue with respect to how the El Nino affected places like Barriles last winter?

Also, I remember a post about last summer's new location of the summertime NPH, making for a not-so-windy summer last year in the Gorge. Predictions?
windfind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brettn wrote:
Interest. Thanks for the post.

Do you have any epilogue with respect to how the El Nino affected places like Barriles last winter?

Also, I remember a post about last summer's new location of the summertime NPH, making for a not-so-windy summer last year in the Gorge. Predictions?

Hi Brettn,

Funny you asked about Baja and El Nino. On the beach at La Ventana I randomly interviewed about 40 kiters and windsurfers both old timers and people who had made just a few trips. I will write a blog summarizing my findings when I have time. The thing people have a hard time grasping about El Nino and La Nina is that for the USA winter they basically just shift the average wind track further south or north. They do not make the storms that might follow those tracks.

So when laypeople read that during a La Nino California is more likely to have heavy rain assume heavy rain will occur. But actually all El Nino does is direct what ever storms that DO occur so they hit California. But if there are, as in this year, few storms then the rain will be moderate despite the El Nino storm track.

The applies to Baja winds during an El Nino. More in the Blog.

It is fruitless to try to predict the Gorge winds this far in advance especially since we are making a shift from an El Nino to a La Nina.

The variable to watch is the ocean temps in the Northern Pacific. The warmer the water the weaker the pressure gradient and the less the marine layer clouds intrude into the western the Gorge. Which means, on the average, lighter later winds.

Remember the days when every year there used to be a thick marine layer in the western Gorge quite frequently? Back when dawn patrols were more reality than legend.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
Weatheflow.com
brettn

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Very interesting. Keep us posted please.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: