myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Newbie: Why do I round up?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lobrien

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2000 3:16 pm    Post subject: Newbie: Why do I round up? Reply with quote

My wife and I are just starting -- about 10 hours on the water. This weekend, in about 15 MPH winds (thats a lot for us) and 5.0 & 5.2 sails, we both had a ton of trouble. As soon as we sheeted in and started moving faster than a couple of knots, wed round up into the wind really sharply. The only way to stay on a reach for me was to stay very sheeted out and very underpowered. Im sure that the proper answer is whatever is the most basic!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2000 8:26 pm    Post subject: RE: Newbie: Why do I round up? Reply with quote

Your boards have three steering wheels.

1. Rig tilt forenaft. Forward drives nose downwind, back drives tail downwind.

2. Sheeting angle. Sheeting in drives nose downwind, sheeting out drives tail downwind.

3. Board roll angle. Rolling leeward rail down turns downwind, rolling windward rail down turns board upwind. Those reverse if you have a daggerboard down.

You MUST have one or more of those steering wheels turned upwind, or you wouldnt be turning upwind. Ill bet youre not sheeting in enough (sail foot should be near the board) AND are standing on the windward rail.

If you have lessons available within a few hours drive, theyre the best $100 youll ever spend on this sport.

Mike \m/
anniewilliams

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2000 8:43 am    Post subject: RE: Newbie: Why do I round up? Reply with quote

To hopefully build on Mikes suggestion, I suspect his steering wheel methods No. 1 or 3 are the most likely culprits. When he says rig tilt, think and visualize mast tilt. One good lesson is well worth the effort. Have fun learning. Its a great sport!
spyder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2000 3:31 pm    Post subject: Annie from Cabrillo? Reply with quote

hey Annie --- is this the Annie from Cabrillo?
if so -- you know me from way back....

my email is metafizx@snap.com
Jibe_Splash!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2000 11:38 am    Post subject: RE: Newbie: Why do I round up? Reply with quote

Thanks in advance. I was reading Newbies question and all the responses. I have just started to wetstart as uphauling in higher winds with a big sail is impossible! I am just getting back into the sport and am currently using a very old short board (~1982 - 1983 Windsurfer Rocket 88 - single fin) I think it was the first year Windsurfer put out the 88. Anyway, The old equipment is really heavy by todays standards and I was using a PFD and a wetsuit and would still swallow quite a few waves trying to stay afloat while climbing under the sail.

Im not sure what the volume rating for that board is, but Im 155 lbs (71 Kg) and the board will only marginally stay afloat. I presently start lifting my old sail at the end of the mast, since the sail sinks, and then swim towards the boom.

Now ... Are you suppose to place one of both feet on the board at the same time? If only one foot is it the forward foot? I was only able to have marginal success in 4 feet of water and placing my back foot on the board first to try and avoid rounding up. Once I finally made it up, the front of that board was under water and I was standing about 12 to 16 inches behind the mast step. I cant tell you how frustrating it is trying to windsurf a submarine (and a slow one at that). Is this all caused by poor technique or does my board need a life jacket too?

Matt
joeyyyy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 2:19 am    Post subject: RE: Newbie: Why do I round up? Reply with quote

You need more wind..

I go back and forth to the front/back foot thing.
but I only put one foot on and Kick with the other (kicking depends on wind).
mostly though, I am using the back foot first on shorter boards.
Pointing off the wind when you start as well as pushing/tilting rig toward the nose and pushing off the wind helps to keep from rounding up.
happy shreds
joeyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: